chapter eleven: the truth

Amelia was feeling very frustrated. She attempted to reach Elaine for the 11th time last night and again today, but was only able to leave a voicemail. She emitted a slight tick sound from her mouth and set her phone down on the dining table as she attempted to regain her appetite. She anticipated a busy day ahead as the school year was coming to a close and she needed to prepare an exam for her students. As she enjoys her meal, she considers giving her another call. Even though she no longer did, all she would hear was: you've reached Elaine, sorry I can't answer your call. I believe I'm studying or something-

As she watched Charles head downstairs, carrying two luggages, a faint smile appeared on his face as the voicemail faded away in her head.

"I'm off on another business trip."

Amelia was indifferent to his whereabouts or potential infidelity with another woman. Her main concern was Elaine's feelings regarding their marriage. She couldn't deny feeling guilty about the situation, but she was relieved that the girl hadn't discovered it yet. She'll tell Elaine soon anyway.

"Alright," Amelia glanced at her oatmeal, moistening her lips. She takes a small bite and asks, "When will you come back?"

"I guess it'll be after July."

Three months from now, Amelia thought, trying to suppress a smile. If Charles didn't return home soon, she could consider taking Elaine out of the country. That scenario seems too despicable; her parents would never approve of her going with a teacher they didn't know.

Charles approached her and planted a brief kiss on her lips, whispering, "I'll be missing you, qīn'ài de."

"Let me know once you get to Los Angeles," Amelia replied, turning her head away to avoid his lips. "I'm just a phone call away."

You're such a liar! Amelia thought to herself. If you had been honest, maybe you would still be in love with the man you once cared for.

She can't recall when she initially fell in love with Charles. All she remembered was that they met at a cafe in London, where he spilled coffee all over his shirt. She handed him a napkin but was taken away when he asked if he could take her on a date. Naturally, she accepted that. Perhaps she sought to convince herself that girls were just a game for her and that she would find true love with a man. However, it turned out differently. She found herself falling for a woman, which caused her some inner turmoil. It's not due to facing homophobia, but rather the challenge of loving a woman considering the challenges within her family.

She no longer considered herself a loyal wife, but her husband wasn't completely faithful either.

Elaine was nowhere to be found after she arrived in her classroom. This evoked a mix of intense emotions in her. What could have happened? Am I the problem?

As she struggled against the throbbing in her head, thoughts raced through her mind. She quickly noticed Francis walking by, the first student to arrive in class, and couldn't resist calling out her name.

With a scowl, the girl spun around. "What's the matter, Ms. Yeong?"

"Have you messaged Elaine? Is everything okay?" she asked, her voice trembling with emotion. "She hasn't sent me any messages and is not answering my calls. I was wondering if you have any updates on her."

Francis hesitated for a moment before releasing a heavy sigh, seemingly reluctant to disclose the truth about Elaine to Amelia.

"I think you should figure that out for yourself."

Amelia knit her brows in confusion. "What are you trying to say? Have I done something wrong?"

"I'm not sure, did you?" Francis asked, seemingly pushing her limits. She grasped the strap of her bag and approached the woman. She admitted, "I have to be honest with you, Ms. Yeong, but she's not doing very well. After all that you've done."