The Annual Immortal Cultivation Academy Exams (1)

The next day, the exams kicked off. The parents of the students participating in the exams all came to the academy. As they came, they talked and praised the way each of them has raised their kids. 

 When Robb's father Noah came to the academy, he just stood at a side appreciating the environment of the academy. Then minister Robert came and stood beside him. Lord Noah, he said. Minister Robert, he replied. You still look the same, minister Robert told him. Hahaha, you too Lord Noah replied. We have come today to see our children's performance in the exams, your son Robb is very talented and amongst all you raised him properly, I think he will be the phoenix. Lord Noah laughed again and said minister Robert you flatter me. In my opinion I think your eldest daughter Emerald is the most likely one to be the phoenix, she is very talented and intelligent, who in this Kingdom doesn't know about this. I even heard from my son that even all the students in the academy all think she is the phoenix as she is the one who has progressed the most in her cultivation, he continued. Is that so? You are flattering me now. They both laughed as they walked towards the hall where the exams will be held.

 At another corner of the academy's courtyard, a business man who has a son in the academy too was trying to bribe the parents of other students, so they can tell their children to perform poorly and let his son win. Son parents agreed and received the bribe, especially the ones who knew their children will never perform excellently. Mr Raymond, it's not that I want contradict you, it's just you know I am a general. It will make my family lose face if my son just loses a fight so easily, General Dan told Mr Raymond. Little did he know his corrupt son has already been bribe by the imperial advisor of the emperor to be a spy in the academy.

 The imperial advisor is a man who craves for power, in the kingdom he holds great power second only to the emperor but he is not satisfied. He wants the power of the phoenix for himself so he can rule the kingdom. He has been planning to usurp the throne but the emperor doesn't have any hint about it. The night before, he had visited Lord Noah, Robb's father, telling him he wants his son Robb to be the phoenix. As long as your son is the phoenix, he would hold great power in the kingdom, of course you too have a great merit from it and he would work under me. Robb's father after weighing the pros and cons, knowing it may not be good for his family if he went against the imperial advisor accepted. Being the phoenix is one thing but I don't think my son has the ability to win in the exams. Don't worry about that. After fumbling his pocket, he brought out a box gave it to Lord Noah saying give this pill to your son, let him take it during the exams and it will help him win. Ok replied Lord Noah and the imperial advisor left.

 Stanley received a message that the imperial advisor sent for him, so he went to see him. When he arrived, the imperial advisor said to him. Please have a seat. Stanley refused and said I wonder why you asked to see me alone. It's not me but the emperor who asked me to inquire if we can select the real Phoenix in this exam, he replied. We may not, Stanley stated. Unless the blood of the phoenix is stimulated. That being said, it means the exams are useless, the imperial advisor said. Stanley seemed to be a little angry. The academy educated students and exams are needed to test how far they have learnt, how can you say the exams are useless? You are right, the Immortal Cultivation Academy is an imperial academy, he said. My comment before was indiscreet. But I have one more question. Do you have anybody in mind to be the phoenix? If not I have somebody that.... Stanley just cut him off and said "nobody can decide". The phoenix will naturally do well in the exams. I will tell the emperor what you said accurately today, the imperial advisor said disappointedly. Goodbye! Stanley turned and left.

 After the parents were all seated, the students marched into the hall, all of them 18 in total, led by their teacher, Stanley and the dean. They were now grouped in pairs which means participating as 9 different sides.

 Their teacher using magic spell threw up a pagoda which had 7 levels, they were to go into the pagoda and begin from the first level, overcoming obstacles until the last level. The higher they go , the harder the level. But they were all warned that it's very dangerous, if they encounter anything they can't pass they should quit with the talisman given to them until the last two people that will remain in the pagoda. And the last two will now compete against each other. Then they were sent into the pagoda.

 In the pagoda, they saw a staff of the academy whom they normally see at the gate. They asked him what he was doing here and he said he was there to just be a guide and lay out instructions. They saw two roads in the opposite direction but didn't know which one to take but they went in different directions but found out they still arrived at the same spot. 

 All the things going on in the pagoda are being seen in the mirror formed by their teacher with a spell. All the parents were anxious for their kids.

 At home, Linda's mom was praying for her daughter in her heart but refusing to show it outwardly.

 After a while of contemplating, Linda looked at the gate staff in the pagoda and noticed that the gate staff would have never left the gate for anything as that his permanent station. She asked him, who are you? But he replied, how many times do I have to repeat it? You are lying she said. The gate staff would never leave his post! Just then he turned into a little boy and said you are quite smart. Then who are you? I'm just a tree in this pagoda, I never have the chance to leave here, I just take the form of anything for fun.

 The students became bored of watching them and tried going on the roads again and started leaving. Then Linda asked the boy if he knows the way but he replied, no I won't tell you. Then Linda asked him, would you like to leave here? He replied excitedly, yes! Then she gave him her talisman that she could use to leave here when she can't go further. Take this, just put it in your palm and close your hand , you will leave here. He took it excitedly, then she asked him to tell her how to go into the next level. He said, oh you want to bribe me right? Anyways you can't walk out of here! He said playfully. Just then she realized something, they can't walk out but can they can use another method.

 She ran towards her fellow students and told them they can't walk out of there but they should use the teleportation techniques their teacher taught them. Everyone gasped and wandered how they didn't think of that. And they all teleported to the next level. And they still saw the little boy there.