A Happy Family

What is wrong with him? I just want to thank him sincerely, why does he push me away? Alice asked herself. Then she shouted at him;

I sincerely want to thank you, you saved me out of kindness so many times but each time I want to thank you, you ask me to leave first. You have some kindness but here you are acting so cool and...

He immediately used his vital energy and threw her out of the demon realm, cutting her off.

How dare you throw me out like trash? She asked after she landed on the territory between the heavenly and demon realm. I will keep appearing in front of you all the time and I must cook this meal. You will eat whatever you want as I must cook all the dishes, she said with certainty.

Back at the between land, Linda was busy cleaning the room furnitures when Stanley walked in carrying some baskets with packages in them.

Where did you go? Linda asked him

I went to the market, he replied.

Market? What did you buy?

Stanley pointed to the baskets and started bringing out some wooden sculptures, they were carved in the shape of a human but no facial features.

Why do they not have faces? Linda asked.

I don't know what's wrong with me but anytime I carved sculptures like this, i usually don't include facial features and I always seem to prefer it that way, he explained. There's more, I bought some food.

He brought out a package and gave it to Linda. She opened it and brought out a fruit.

A fruit? She asked as she smelled it and was satisfied. She nodded in affirmation.

He put his hand into the basket and brought out another one.

The devil said that it's snake skin.

Immediately she heard it, she became irritated though she tried to hide it. Stanley noticed it and kept it aside, brought out another one and said;

This is spider's eye.

It irritated her even more as she turn her gaze away so as not to look at it.

Let's just don't eat it, Stanley said.

That's right, I just remembered I have to do, Linda said.

What's it?

I heard there are mushrooms down the mountain, so I want to pick some to cook.

I will go with you.

Can you pick mushrooms?

Can't I?

Linda thought for a while and said "okay".

 Down the mountain, Linda walked past some flowers while picking mushrooms. She paused her picking and admired the flowers. Just as she was about to walk closer to the flowers, she tripped against a stone and fell but she felt a strong hand wrap around her waist and caught her from falling. She looked up to see it was Stanley. They looked at each other in the eyes, feeling the electrifying emotions running through their bodies. They saw nothing but love in each other's eyes. Linda cleared her throat awkwardly after some moments of silence, that was when Stanley realized he was still holding her waist.

We should go home, Stanley said and showed her a basket full of cocoyams. These and the mushrooms you've picked should be enough.

Linda nodded and they set off for home.

On their way home, they saw a family of three by the river banks laughing, running after each other and telling jokes. They looked so happy that it caught their attention.

Is this the so called family togetherness?

Linda looked at them for a while and nodded.

I remember when I was young, I always missed my grandfather because he came home with a lot of toys for us to play with after his patrol as an officer everyday. And he also taught me to read and write. That time when I will be asked to recite the lines I've read and I failed, my mother.. my mother...

The words stuck in her throat as she remembered how her mother treated her recently because of her family's downfall.

Anyways my mother always protected me saying I was still young, Linda said. Teacher, as a high immortal was your childhood more spectacular than theirs?

My mother died when I was still little, she sacrificed herself to stop a heavenly disaster that occurred, he said. I didn't even know what she looked like. And the heavenly empress was her sister. Although she treats me like her own child, I can still feel the difference. As for my father, he always sits above the masses and cares for the people. I can only tell my frustrations to my brother Frank.

I'm sorry for reminding you your sad past, Linda apologized.

No it's okay, you didn't, I've had to deal with it all the time. Although being a divine lord is noble and has endless heavenly grace, infact it's boring. Look, he said gesturing towards the family of three. They are so happy. Linda.

Yes, she answered.

Let's go home.

Okay, she nodded and they continued their journey home.

In the demon realm, Alice was preparing some dishes at the front of the gates, while the guards completely forgot their duty posts and were salivating in front of the food. The aroma totally stirred their stomachs.

The most delicious food in the whole realm, he will surely like it, Alice soliloquized.

Hrmm! Hrmm! Came a throat clearing sound behind them. 

My lord! The guards bowed and saluted in unison.

Get lost! The demon lords assistant commanded them and they left immediately. I excuse myself my lord, the assistant left too giving him and Alice some space.

My lord! The best tonic soup ever, come and have a taste, she said while putting a spoon to his mouth. But he turned around and said "aren't you afraid I'll kill you?"

Why would you kill me? If you don't like soup I can make something else for you. Tell me what do you want me to make for you?

He just looked at her, pushed her to the side and said I want you to get lost.

Again? She asked. Aside from this, I can do anything else you want.

He looked at her angrily an

d stormed away.

Well, I will drink it myself, she said.