Chapter 156: June Jackson

"This is so much easier to move in!" I exclaimed while turning and feeling out the new outfit.

Peony sighed. "It isn't exactly what we would have preferred, but I'm glad you like it, My Lady."

For once they didn't put me in a dress. I liked dresses, but they were restricting and the ones the dryads dressed me in suggested a lot. They suggested I was powerful and treasured, but that I also had to remain poised and perfect. Maybe one day I would feel worthy of such clothes, but for now this was more preferrable. I was wearing dark red slacks that had the texture of soft grass tightly woven. It sounded like it should be itchy, but it was supple and breathable while being a tougher fabric than the dresses made of that petal-like texture. The long-sleeve shirt I wore had that fabric instead. It was dark green that contrasted nicely with the pants and had a sleek flowing hem that surpassed the hips and cut off at the bottom of the buttocks. The sleeves had a small bell shape at the wrist, but it was the neckline that was intriguing. The plunging neckline reached down to where my belly button would be and rose to in an exaggerated "V" that was practically off the shoulder. Just under the neckline was crew cut under piece that appeared to be made of layered pink flower petals that appeared fluffy and soft.

"I really like this!" I said pleased. It still looked elegant and formal, but was more professional than fancy.

Peony finally smiled. "Yes. Yes. Now please sit here. Maple needs to do your hair."

I sat on the stump that was tampered with to look like a chair with a back to it. Maple was already set with a basket of pink flowers beside her. In her hands she held a wooden comb and petrified wood scissors. Cyprus came to me on her knees and summoned a short wooden knob to grow from the ground. She placed the wooden bowl she was holding on it and directed my left hand to it.

"I will do your nails, My Lady." She said with an excited smile. I gave a nervous smile in return. They always did this. A simple outfit and hair cut would have been fine, but they were going to decorate my hair, tend to my hands, scent me with oils, and give me some fancy facial. I knew I had to get used to this, but it made me wonder how much of my time as queen was going to be spent at the mercy of these ladies' hands.

Putting my discomfort aside, the treatment felt rather nice. Cyprus massaged my hands as she buffed and strengthened my nails, Maple gently worked with my hair never excessively tugging or snagging it, and Peony watched while occasionally offering me a drink of fruit infused water. Maybe I needed to stop fighting this. These dryads didn't seem annoyed to serve me in this way. In fact, they appeared to relish it. I just couldn't comprehend why. Did they really see their future queen in me? Didn't my human appearance and checkered past bother them? Was it only because of Cenderion's affection for me, or did they desire this on their own? I saw how the dryads were when they were ordered to do something they disliked. Back when Cenderion had been shaded and was forcing me to marry him, both Birch and Peony looked distraught and distant. I glanced at Peony. Her eyes sparkled when she noticed my attention and she smiled warmly. That didn't seem to be the case now.

By the time I was done my hair had been pleated into a single French braid down the left side of my head. The braid rested right behind my ear and dangled just above my breast. The pink flowers that were the size of pennies were woven throughout the braid. My nails were shimmering and clean, and I smelled of fragrant flowers.

"And for the final touch." Peony said while clasping a necklace around my neck. I recognized the weight and feel. I looked down and saw the giant emerald and felt the vine-like texture of the golden chain.

"Isn't this the Dryad's Envy?" I asked surprised. It made sense to have me wear it at that royal luncheon, but now? A simple introduction to Destin's pack? Was this a bigger deal than Destin was telling me?