The Pep-Talk

"Katniss," Haymitch wines for about the thousandth time, "you have to make allies. The games are in a few days. Everyone wants you on their side."

"I don't want a side, don't you understand," I try to explain," I don't want to fight anyone, I don't want to be in the games, I want to stop them!" I say. Haymitch rolls his eyes.

"Sweetheart, you don't hold the world in your hands. You can't stop them. As long as Snow's alive the games will remain-"

"Then let's get rid of him." Peeta spits out his drink as soon as the words escape my lips. "Katniss, you know that's pretty imposs-"

"I don't care what it is. No one should have to go through the games, and especially not twice. I would be a horrible person to bring a baby into a world where such killing and violence is encouraged. I don't care what anyone says."

The boys groan. "You have to pick somebody," Haymitch whispers barely winning the battle.

"Fine, I choose Mags." He laughs and then stares, "Oh. You were serious." I glare at him so hard that if looks could kill he'd be far gone by now. "Look kid. You can't just decide you want to overthrow the president and do it. You can't just decide you want to end the games and do it. You have to fight, you have to rebel, and get everyone on your side. The best thing to do now is the just go in those games and come out alive."

"No."

"What the hell do you mean no?"

"Last time you were supposed to save me, now you save Peeta."

Peeta stands up and silences everyone,"Katniss, we can't save me. You're carrying out child. It's more important for you to come out than me. They aren't going to let us both come out again. It has to be you. I couldn't live with myself if I let you both die when it could have been me instead."

"But-"

"No. It's time for me to be the brave one."

I nod knowing I won't win this war. I stand up and walk to our room and sit down on the bed. I run my fingers over the smooth silk on the border of the sheets and frown. I'm going to have a baby. I could literally give birth today, tomorrow, or in the games. I try and shake the thought out of my head but it won't go away. I just have this gut feeling. I'm going to have this kid in the arena.

I lay on my back and look up at the ceiling. My life is going to change drastically in the next few days. I'm not prepared for anything that will happen. I could easily die after my child is born. I could die before. I could make it out with the child and not Peeta. I could make it out on my own. Tears start streaming down my face as I try and prepare myself for the worst.

Nothing could ever make me prepared for what is coming. Nothing could make me feel safe and secure. I need to stop the games. But how? How in the world am I supposed to do that? I can feel a smile on my face as an idea pops in my head. It would never work though. If I had my baby before the games, they would still put me in and then I could still die.

I sigh knowing that nothing in my power is going to do anything. I'm too small. We'd have to get everyone in on it. All the victors. All the districts. How is the question. The interviews. Everyone is going to drop a big ass bomb. I stand up and walk outside my door. On the way I accidentally bump something off the nightstand. "SHIT!" I scream. Peeta runs to the door. He laughs when he sees me struggle to pick up the lamp. He walks over and picks it up.

"I thought you were about to have the baby when you screamed," he laughs. I laugh with him and sit down. He grabs my hands from in front of me and kisses me on the forehead. "You be careful," he whispers. "That's valuable for someone who's going to go into the Hunger Games for the second time in a little over a year."

He smiles and walks back out to sit with Haymitch. I keep adding onto my plan and know exactly what I'm going to do. I have to tell all the tributes, and Haymitch. We have to do it before there is no way to stop the games. We have to have everyone doubt the presidents rule. We have to overthrow Snow. I get up and walk out to the boys.

"Haymitch I've changed my mind."

"Finally SweetHeart. What did you decide?"

"I want Finnick."