The Beginning

I wake to muffled sobs above me. I look up to see Venia, (as suggested) Flavius, Octavia, and Peeta's prep team watching us. If he wasn't awake before he is now because we turn to look at each other at the same time. Today is it. Today is the first day of the games. I sit up and look at my stomach. With all my might I have to push tears to the back of my eyes. I'm not going to cry. I'm not going to let him break me.

Peeta sits up beside me and together we manage to crawl out of bed. He is taken with his prep team as I am taken with mine away from each other's presence. We kiss goodbye knowing it could be the last kiss we share. He lips taste salty but I can't get enough. It's like a drug I've become so used to that now I can't live with out him. He's ushered away and then I'm brought to the hovercraft a different way.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

A ladder drops and I'm pulled up into the air vehicle. A woman grabs my arm to place the tracker. She is the same lady from last year and I can feel her sympathy just from the the look in her eyes. I wonder if it's hard. Seeing kids going to their death every year. I guess Peeta and I are the only people this year who are not adults though since we are only seventeen.

I sit down and am strapped in across from Peeta. I can barely look at him but have to so I can remain sane. I stare into his eyes. I've always loved them. Ever since we were eleven he's always had the same mesmerizing eyes that when you admired them you couldn't look away.

He makes a sad smile at me and I make one in return. The hovercraft is silent and I don't think anyone is going to speak. What do you say to the people who are about to kill you? What do you say to people who have been in this situation before and now with you again? What do you say to people who are your last hope?

The hovercraft becomes steady and we are all branched off in different directions with separate guides, peace keepers. After a long walk underneath the place of where I shall be executed I am let into a small chamber where Cinna awaits. He hands me the outfit. It's a skin tight-stretchy jumpsuit with full pants and sleeves. The jumpsuit is also a strange silky fabric that's very thin. Like a wet suit. "Thermal. Most likely dessert or tropics."

Cinna and I stare at each other fora while. I want to say so much about what he's done for me but I don't think I can. I feel like a  cantaloupe is sitting my throat and I can barely breathe. Tears sting the back of my eyes and I swallow hard. "The dress was beautiful, I think it's the best one you made" I make out. "I thought you'd like it," he answers.

"I'm just telling you becau-"

"Stop...remember I'm still betting on you girl on fire." I step into his embrace. He's warm and feels safe. Cinna's just about the only person I trust in the Capitol. "Sixty seconds 'till launch!" Says a robotic voice over. We pull apart and I make my way to the clear tube that will release me into the arena. I step inside and lock eyes with him as we stand there in complete and utter silence. "Ten seconds 'till launch!"

The tube starts to close and when it's sealed at least ten peace keepers rush into the room. Oh my god! "Five seconds 'till launch!" They start to beat Cinna in front of me. One bangs his head really hard against the glass and I'm screaming. "NO! CI-NN-N-A! CINNA NO!" I shout again and again but it's no use. He's punched and kicked and almost every other thing. "Three...two...one!" The tube starts to rise as they drag him away. I press my hand up against the glass as if I could reach to him but it's too late and I'm in the arena.

I'm on a small pedi stool over looking water. There is a small and skinny branch of land stretching out over the water connecting to the cornucopia. My mouth is dry and my throat burn from screaming as I try to catch my breathe. I'm practically hyperventilating once the sixty second countdown begins. "Sixty...Fifty-nine...Fifty-eight"

I look around for Peeta but can't see him as the sun is blinding me. I cough trying to regain a normal breathing pattern as air finally starts to reach my lungs. I feel it hitch and sobs start to release and I find my eyes fall upon Finnick O'dair. "Forty-five...forty-four...forty-three"

He gives me a nod as to continue with the plan. I nod back in agreement and salty tears fill my mouth. I could die in less than a minute. Peeta could die in less than a minute. My hand instantly goes down to my stomach. A splash hits the circular ground beneath my feet. I look behind me and baby waves start crashing. "Twenty...nineteen...eighteen"

I try and get my shit together and take deep breath hearing the rapidness of when I inhale. My heart is beating so fast I feel as if it will blow up. I shake out my hands hanging by my sides. "Ten... nine.. eight... seven... six... five... four... three" I position my feet to dive into the water. I take one last breathe and close my eyes bracing myself for the plunge. "One..." A gong sounds and I'm off that block faster than I've ever gotten away from something and am hurling towards the middle.

I get there about the same time as Finnick and he comes over to pull me out of the water. We grab as much things as we can. "Let's split up to find Peeta." I nod and start to run on a large strip of land not connected to a pedi stool. I look around and hear a scream. It's Peeta. I turn around to see someone trying to drown him. Let the games begin.