The Wolf Pack

I struggle to see as water splashes everywhere. All I can tell is that someone is underwater and someone is trying to strangle the other. I don't know which is Peeta or the other tribute. I look over to Finnick for help. I can't let him die. He's the only thing that is pushing me forward. I love him. He can't die. He just can't. He can't.

Within milliseconds Finnick is diving into the water. I can't see what happens next because my eyes are flooding with tears. Cannons start to go off singling the end of the blood bath. Seven booms. The three are struggling but I don't know who is winning. I can hear my heart as if it's gone into my ears and feel as if all of Panem are feeling the beats that shake my body violently.

Another cannon. Signaling eight deaths sounds. It could be Finnick, The other tribute, or worse, Peeta. A body is floating. I recognize it as the tribute from district nine although I didn't know them. Finnick's head emerges. I blink back tears trying to stay strong as I wait for Peeta to come up, but he doesn't.

I start looking all around, jerking my head left and right but can't see him. I feel my throat swell as if a million balloons are being blown up inside and I can barely breathe. I try and gasp for air and end up falling to my knees. I start to sob out loud as water makes a glossy coat over my eyes.

I meet eyes with Finnick and I feel a pang in my heart just looking at his sad eyes. His pupils are so black it's like at his emotions are built up inside. His eyes so green that it's as if all the sadness in the world is stored inside the crystal-like flake designs. He dives underwater immediately.

It feels as if years go by until he comes up. He pulls Peeta over to the edge of the land and pushes him up. Peeta is gasping and sitting up straight so his airway is clear. He coughs and water from inside his throat splashes out against the ground. I practically crawl over to him.

Finnick pulls himself up. His eyes look alarmed and suddenly he picks up Mags screaming for us to follow him. I stand right up my reflexes telling me to run. I grab Peeta's arm and pull his up as I break out into a sprint after Finnick dragging Peeta behind me like a child.

I know I shouldn't but curiosity takes over me and I look behind my shoulder. Gloss, Cashmere, Brutus, and Enobaria are all chasing after us. The adrenaline pumping pushes me forward but I can tell my stomach is slowing me down. They seem to notice and push harder to chase after me. I guess they didn't want to follow through with the plan.

Peeta also seems to notice and with his regained strength he attempts at pulling me but he too is slowed down by his 'leg'. I don't know if it's the wind or just me slicing through the air but the crispness stings my eyes and I'm almost blinded having to squint to see. We have almost made it out of the clearing and to the forest.

I look again and they all screech to a stop and turn around the other way. I look ahead to see Finnick with Mags behind him threatening to go after them with his trident. He's saved my life and Peeta's. I can never repay him for what he's done. We break the boundary of sand and are pushed into a tropical climate.