[Chapter 5] Meeting Ian

We got all of our furniture needed within a week: my full bedroom set, Liam's full bedroom set, my parents bedroom set, the living room stuff (you know, couch, side tables, TV, coffee table), small eating area table and chairs, and office desk, computer, and swivel desk chair. My mother picked out a few paintings to hang on the walls and a few plants to suspend from the ceiling,

I also was expected to attend the local high school starting Monday. Great, it was the middle of the school year and I'd be treated differently than everyone. Just what I needed right now...

I walked outside to go look for a job on Saturday when I was intercepted by Anthony.

"Brooklyn!" He exclaimed, walking up to me and the car. "What's up? I haven't seen you around lately."

I sighed. I really didn't want to talk to him today. "I'd love to talk, Anthony. But I was just about to go out and look for a job today. I really should get going. I have..." I looked down at the post-it note I stuck to my hand, "...five places to go to today. Maybe tomorrow?"

He ran his fingers through his hair. I felt my jaw drop, he was asking for me to fall in love with him right then and there. "Oh...well, you know, me and my friend could always use a helping hand with our videos. You'd get paid. Have you ever heard of YouTube?"

"Who hasn't?" I giggled.

He smiled widely, showing me his perfectly white and straight teeth. "Well, me and my friend make videos for them and get paid for each video we make. I'm sure my friend and I can give you a part of our paychecks each week if you help us."

"Are you kidding me?" I felt a wide smile spread across my face, ear to ear. "That would be amazing!"

He smiled, "You can start tomorrow, that's when we start recording our next video."

I hugged him unexpectedly. "You're the best, Anthony."

He hugged me back tightly and rested his head on my shoulder. "No problem. I'm sure you'll be amazing."

I stepped back from our embrace and slipped my hands into my jean pockets. "So, I saw you and your friend outside arguing. Is everything okay?"

He laughed. "Yeah, he's just...special. He came to yell at me for stopping mowing the grass, because 'when he does it, he never takes a break.' He's just OCDish."

I smiled. "What's your friend's name?"

He jumped at the question. "Why don't you come inside and meet him for yourself?"

He extended his hand out to me. He held his palm upward toward the sky. I looked at it briefly and my attention was drawn back to his face. I never realized how brilliant his brown eyes dazzled or how white and gleaming his teeth were.

I gently place my hand in his. He folded his fingers over my hand and directed me into his house. It looked exactly like mine, just with different furniture and paintings and potted plants.

"Ian! I need you to meet someone!" Anthony shouted as he closed the door behind us.

"Wha-at?" I heard a male voice whine.

"Come on, man. I have a guest."

Ian dragged himself from the bedroom hallway. He was slouched over and he had a displeased look on his face.

"Ian, this is Brooklyn. She's our new neighbor." Anthony introduced me.

He looked up and his gaze averted to Anthony's and my intertwined hands and then quickly to our faces. He growled at me.

I looked at him like he was crazy.

"Dude!" Anthony broke our hold and smacked Ian upside the head. Under his breath, Anthony instructed, "Get your fucking act together. Be the best Ian I know you can be."