[Chapter 15] Who Means the Most to Me

I was English class the next day. I had that class with Todd, he and I actually sat next to each other.

The teacher was really harsh about these essays from what I've seen from other people's presentations, and I was afraid I was going to get a bad grade, even if I poured my entire soul into writing it.

"Next up is...oh, great, the Bay Stater...Brooklyn Hess." The teacher's nasally voice pierced through the chatter of the room.

I slowly stood up. The room went so quiet that you could drop a pin and hear it. I felt every eye on me, and the teacher's stare was killing me. I walked up to the lectern and placed my papers on it.

I cleared my throat and began. "The person I wrote my essay about was my neighbor, Anthony. When I first moved here, he greeted me immediately, even though my clothes were stained red with blood from the previous night." The whole class gasped in unison. "I knew something was different about him from the start, but a good kind of different. We became friends almost immediately; with him giving me a job working for him and his friend as an assistant to being my date to the prom. Anthony's shy, sensitive, and unbelieveably nice. He's always there for me, and it's good to have someone there to catch you when you fall." I stopped for a quick second and continued. "I fell in love with him, and he's more than anything I could wish for. He's someone who means too much for me to lose. And I know how it feels to lose someone. Without him, I think I would be a complete wreck." I paused so a slight tension blanketed the room. "So, in conclusion, Anthony Padilla means the world to me."

I looked up at the class, and they were completely silent. Todd began to slowly clap, and soon enough, the whole class was too. And my teacher was even tearing up. She began to clap too.

She stood up and walked towards me, "I'm so happy that you didn't talk about your mom or dad or sibling for ten mintues!" She hugged me unexpectedly and then stepped back. "Your story was so beautiful, but I have to give you partial credit because you were supposed to write an essay, not a paragraph. I should give you a fifty, but it was well-written, so I'll give you a seventy."

"Fine by me." And I walked back to my seat.

As I say down, Todd leaned over the bar that he rested his arm on. "That was really good, Brooke."

"Thanks." I smiled.

"How did you write so well?"

I looked over at him, "In all honesty, I've been through a lot of shit."

He smiled and went back to facing the front of the classroom. Ever so often for the rest of the class, he would quickly glance at me and snicker. It brought a smile to my face to know that I did something right for once.

The bell rang and I walked outside the classroom, only to be swept away by the one-and-only Anthony Padilla. He pulled me close to him and kissed me.

I stepped back and looked at him in bewilderment.

He nodded his head to the classroom door, "I heard your essay."

"Oh..." My face turned a bright shade of red. I scratched my head in embarrassment.

"It was beautiful." He smiled.

I didn't respond, just averted my gaze away from him.

He placed his hands on my cheeks and turned my head to face him, "Brooklyn, I didn't go to see my girlfriend that day I was gone. There isn't even one. So please calm down and let things be the way they're supposed to be."

I jumped forward and hugged him tightly. "You mean a lot to me, Anthony. And when I say a lot, I mean a shit load."

He kissed my hair, "You mean a lot to me too."

I stepped back from our embrace and crossed my arms. "What were you doing here anyways?"

He scratched his head, "I wanted to try to talk to you again. I asked what class you had and luckily I remembered my way around the school." He chuckled. "I hate when we fight, Brooke."

"Me too."

"Do you believe me now? That there isn't a girlfriend or anything?"

I shook my head, "I suppose."

He smiled and laughed. "You're adorable when you're mad." He said, wrapping his arm around my back.

We started walking away, towards the exit of the school.

Before we reached the doors, I stepped to the side. Anthony looked at me confused. "I have other classes, Anthony. I can't just leave."

"Oh, yeah. Forgot, you're not graduated yet."

I smirked. "See you later."