Chapter Thirteen

THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE LAST CHAPTER!!! DO NOT READ UNTIL YOU HAVE FINISHED THE OTHER TWO!!

£°°££°°££°°££°°££°°

"You are a fool to think that you are able to defeat me." Arthur whispered in my ear. He pushed his sword a bit more for good measure, then quickly pulled it out.

I fell to the ground and curled up into a ball, trying to endure the pain. I felt cold and numb. Weak. Something I wasn't used to at all.

"Your King is now finished.'' Arthur shouted then. "Surrender your swords to me now."

I slowly looked up and saw the Knights standing a few feet away. Their faces showed anger and horror. Nimue was with them. Her face was filled with grief, tears falling down her muzzle. I slowly uncurled myself and reached for Caliburn-who was staring at me with horror- with a shakey hand.

"Y-your Highness?" He whispered.

I used him for support and stood, wincing and flinching as my wound sent wave after wave of pain.

Arthur rose his sword. "Answer me, slaves! Or do I have to make you?"

I was somehow able to run. I rose Caliburn and swung at Arthurs side. I didn't miss. The blade went through his armor like it was paper, and black magic seeped through the cut. With a final effort, I stabbed the same way he stabbed me. I pulled Caliburn out without wasting time, and watched as he fell to the ground. Just like I did.

I gave a small, weak smile to the Knights before dropping Caliburn again and stumbling a few inches.

"Your safe." I muttered, then my legs gave in.

Normal POV

Nimue ran up to Sonic just as he fell, and caught him in her arms. Tears leaked out of her eyes slowly as she stared at him. She held him in her arms like a mother would with a child.

"Why didn't you listen to me?" She whispered, stroking Sonics' face.

Sonics' eyes were half way closed. He somehow managed to chuckle and raise a shakey hand to her face.

"I'm... Also very stubborn." He chuckled.

She shook her head, tears falling faster. "How can you joke, when you're about to... To die?"

He coughed up some blood. "Amy... Smile. One l-last time. For me."

Her mouth quivered at the pitiful request. She put a hand on his bloody one, closed her eyes, and placed her forehead on his.

"Not unless... You close your eyes." She replied gently.

His eyes slowly closed. But his breathing continued.

She looked up at the Knights. "He is not dead... Yet. We must take him back."

They all nodded, and Gawaiin picked up Sonic.

She watched them as they left sadly, then looked at Caliburn.

He stared after the Knights for a while, before saying, "What'll happen to me? Will I be put to rest again?"

"What would you prefer to do?" Nimue asked gently.

Caliburn looked at her for a moment, then hopped off after the others. Nimue followed.

£°°££°°££°°££°°££°°

Sonics POV

"Sonic... Open your eyes."

I did what I was told, but slowly. I could feel pain everywhere, and I felt numb and cold. I looked up to see Nimues' smiling face looking down at me, tears rolling off her muzzle.

"Amy...?" I whispered.

Her smile widened a bit more. "Hello, Arthur."

I took a deep breath. My head spun. "Why are you... Hiding your sadness?"

She bent down and kissed my head. "I am only doing what you requested. To smile once more."

''You're n-not letting me die... Are you?" I asked, rising a shakey hand to her cheek. I noticed that I was on a floating boat with flowers underneath me. Four other people- I was guessing that it was the Knights- pushed me into the water of a lake. Caliburn was tucked beneath my hands, eyes closed.

Her smile vanished, and she closed her eyes at my touch. "I told you... I am going to let you go. For your happiness."

"But I'm already h-happy, Ames." I protested gently. "I have... Your smile."

"That is not enough. Your heart still grows heavy." She placed a hand on my eye gently. "Close your eyes."

"Amy...?'' I whispered. But I was slowly drifting into the darkness already, and my vision faded in and out.

"Just close your eyes..."

I finally did. Her last words echoed through my head before everything stopped. I went still.

£°°££°°££°°££°°££°°

Normal POV

"Do not forget me... Or remember me." Nimue whispered as Sonics' eyes closed.

She leaned down and kissed his forehead for one last time.

"Sleep well, Mighty King. Knight of the Wind." She whispered, and slowly stepped out of the water to let the boat pass.

The others followed her lead, and she willed the lake to continue pushing the boat and candles farther and farther away. Her tears caught in the wind, and her quills were thrown about. But she didn't care.

The Blacksmith came over with a few bows and arrows, one for each. He also brought a torch. The Knights and Nimue lit up the sharp side of the weapon, and aimed their arrows skyward. They went flying one by one, and each hit their target. The boat with Sonic.

Nimue slowly lowered her bow to her side, tears falling faster now.

"He was a true knight at heart." Percival said quietly, voice heavy.

No one responded.

Hope you find happiness in what you were aftee. Nimue thought.

After another moment or two, they all left to the shelter with sorrowful looks.

Nimue looked back once more before closing the door on the river for the last time.

£°°££°°££°°££°°££°°

I am a really terrible person... I hate myself for doing this. I really do. But, it is not over yet! There is still a bit more to do. And yes I kinda based this book on the comic strip at the top. NOTICE I SAID KINDA. Most-and I mean practically all of it- of what I wrote is my originality... Besides the characters. Heh. But hope you guys liked it. More on the way here soon!!