Chapter 17: Being Sick Is Not A Good Feeling

Being Sick Is Not A Good Feeling

I woke up feeling hot and sweat was washing my face. I turned over in bed and groaned. My throat felt parch dry and it hurts like hell - I felt like it too. I looked at my alarm clock to see that it was just 4:30am. All of a sudden my nose started to burn me and I couldn't help the sneeze that came after.

Oh God, please tell me I'm not sick...

I sneeze again and got up and went into my bathroom. After using the toilet, I went up to the facet to wash my hands and looked in the mirror. Perfect! Not only do I felt like hell, I look like it too. My hair was sticking up in all directions and was damp because of my sweat. Dark bags were under my eyes and it looks like I had just seen a ghost.

I went back into my room and got back in bed. I felt so weak. I hope when I get some more sleep, I will feel much better. With that thought in mind, I drifted back to sleep.

I woke up for the second time that morning and I felt worse. My head was pounding and I couldn't stop coughing. I saw that it was almost 7:00am and I knew that I couldn't go to school today. I brought the sheet to my chin and lay in bed staring at the ceiling. After a while, I heard a soft knock on my bedroom door.

"Honey, aren't you getting ready for school?" I heard my mother asked from the other side of the door.

"I don't think I'm going to school today, Mom. I'm not feeling well." I answered her, hoping she heard me because I couldn't talk loud because of my sore throat.

I heard the doorknob turned and my door opening. My mother stood in the doorway and looked over at me. As her eyes landed on me, her eyes widen and she rushed to my bedside with a concern look on her face.

"Sweetie, you don't look so good." She said placing a hand on my forehead. "And you're burning up."

"I don't feel so good either." I mumbled. Mom just nodded her head and said that she will be back in a minute. When she came back, she was holding a thermometer. She stuck it into my mouth and read my temperature.

"Oh honey." She gasped, "You're running a very high fever. You most definitely can't go to school today."

"My head and throat are hurting me." I grumbled. I hate being sick, it just wasn't a good feeling.

"I'm going to get you some tablets." My mom said and left my room again. I sat up in bed and rest my head on the headboard. My mom came back with some aspirin and a glass of water. She gave them to me and I took them and set the glass down on my bedside table.

"I have to call work and tell them that I can't come in early today." Mom said.

I looked at her wide eyed. "Mom, you can't do that! Patients need you!" I protested.

"My daughter is my patient first and she needs me right now." My mom said looking at me with a serious expression. I smiled warmly at her. "I'm going to make some phone calls now and make you some chicken soup, okay?"

"Thanks Mom." I said and she left my room, closing the door softly behind her. I reached for my phone and texted my friends and told them that I was sick and I wasn't going to school today. They texted back instantly asking if I wanted them to come over. I reassured them that I was okay and that they should not skip school because of me and they promised to come over as soon as school finishes.

I put my phone down and decided to take a shower. I felt sweaty, sticky and my hair was in desperate need of a wash. I heard a knock on my door and I called for whoever it was to come in. My Dad popped his head around my door and smiled. He was dressed and ready for work.

"I heard that my little pumpkin is sick." He grinned. "How are you feeling?"

"Awful." I groaned. He gave me a sad smile.

"You are going to feel better soon, sweetheart." He replied kissing me on my forehead. "When I come home, we can play cards okay?" He added ruffling my hair. I nodded my head and smiled up at him, remembering how he would play cards with me when I was sick as a little girl because it somehow made me feel better.

"See you later, pumpkin. Love you." He said.

"Love you too, Dad." I said as he left my room again. I got up from my bed and got out a grey sweat pants and a white T-shirt with Minnie Mouse on the front and went into the bathroom. After a long shower and washing my hair with my favourite strawberry shampoo, I left the bathroom and got dressed. I left my hair to air dry and went back into bed.

I was about to drift back to sleep, when my mother entered my room carrying a tray with a bowl on it. I sat up in bed as she came over to my bedside.

"Drink up the soup, Lexie. It would make you feel better." Mom said as she placed the tray on my lap. "I called work and they said I can come in at twelve. Do you think you will be alright by yourself?" She asked.

"Of course, Mom. Thanks." I reassured her, taking a sip of the warm soup. She nodded and left my room. I finished my soup and put the tray on my bedside table and fell asleep instantly.

A knock on my door woke me up and my mother stepped through my door, dressed and ready for work.

"I'm leaving now, honey. Are you sure, you will be okay?" She asked with a worried expression on her face.

"I'm sure, Mom." I assured her. She smiled at me and told me to call her if anything. After I promised her that I would, she left. I didn't feel sleepy anymore, so I got up from bed and went down to the living room to watch movies.

I was curled up on the couch watching The Fault In Our Stars, when I felt my phone vibrated beside me. I entered my password to open my phone and saw that I had received a message from a strange number. I frowned and open the message. It read:

Hey. Why aren't you at school today? -Josh

Josh? Why was he concerned if I was at school or not? How did he get my number anyway? Ugh! This boy is so unpredictable! I answered him with:

I'm sick :(

I was about to put my phone back down, when it buzz again almost instantly.

Are you okay?

I smiled at the prospect of him caring about how I was doing and answered.

Not really, but I guess I'm feeling better now.

I sent the last text and put my phone down and continued watching my movie. After a while, I got a next text.

Well, get well soon :)

I smiled at his reply and put my phone away. I don't know why, but I felt good to know that he actually cared. I closed my eyes for a while trying to get the burning in my throat to calm down.

I was on the second movie when my friends came over. We finished watching the movie together and they did everything to make me feel better. We watched movies, told jokes and we painted each others finger nails. I told them about Josh's text and they informed me that he and the boys sat at our table again.

According to them, he missed me today, but they were just exaggerating. Why would he miss me?

******************************
A/N: Hey my people! Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please vote, comment and share. I would like to hear your responses, questions and predictions. I respond to all comments.

Yay! It's been a while, but I updated. I haven't in a while and I wanted to for you guys.

Next chapter will be interesting *wiggles eyebrows*

I love you guys. You are just awesome! Hugs and kisses. Stay positive!

~Alecia

Cold Hearted Devil For A Partnerजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें