Chapter 05

CHAPTER 5

I walked up the front stairs, not knowing what to expect as I walked through the front door.

I could hear Mum's voice, along with two that I'd heard before - but only over the phone - coming from the lounge room. They got up as they heard me entrance, and came into view.

It was unbelievable how much Dallas looked like Dad. Rebecca, on the other hand, was a whole lot different from what I'd imagined. Living in the country, I thought she'd look like a farmer or something along those lines. But instead, she was one of the most beautiful people I'd ever seen.

Rebecca had bronze hair which had naturally tight curls. She had beautiful hazel eyes and a stunning smile.

"Nasettia!" my dad cried out happily. He came over and gave me a huge hug.

"Hey Dad," I said as he released me, "It's great to see you - it's been way too long."

"Way too long, I agree," he turned and motioned for Rebecca to come forward. "Nasettia, this is your stepmother, Becky."

"Hey Becky," I said. I waved to her. I didn't know how to act with Rebecca.

"It's lovely to finally meet you Nasettia. I want you to know that I'm going to try and help you all that I can through this," she smiled warmly and walked over to hug me lightly.

I'd only just met her, but I could see that Becky and I could become great friends. One time, when I was on the phone to Dad, I'd joked with him and asked if I was going to get another brother or sister. He'd told me no because Becky was infertile. I hoped that this baby could be all that it could be for both Becky and me.

After all the greetings were over, Dallas helped me get all of my things together - tears escaping my eyes. Saying goodbye to Dallas would be the most difficult goodbye of them all.

Today, I'd made sure everyone had my e-mail address and mobile phone number - I didn't want Chad's actions to stop me from contacting my friends.

Dad came and knocked on my door at about 6.00pm, "Come on Nas, we have to leave soon or we'll get home really late."

"Okay, give me five minutes Dad." This was it. I was moving from busy, Melbourne suburb of Hawthorn East to small, country town Bannockburn.

Dallas and I dragged my bags to the front door where Dad, Becky, Mum and Don were already waiting. I'd already said my goodbyes to the young ones.

As Dad took my bags to the car, I said my final goodbyes. I merely looked at Mum and said, "Bye." I then looked at Don did the same thing.

I turned to face my brother and couldn't help throwing my arms around him. I squeezed him so tightly that he should have been choking for breath, but he didn't care. "Bye Dallas. Call me please."

"Of course," he wiped a tear from his eye hoping that I wouldn't see it. He gave me another brotherly kiss and directed for me to go.

I walked out of the house with not another glance at the house. I marched to the station wagon and had to use quite a bit of force to get the rusty door open. It squeaked and creaked as I opened it. I climbed onto the back seat which was covered with old blankets. There was mud and grime all over the floor, and the car had a strange and musky smell about it. I had to pull the door back so hard and it slammed against the car frame so much so I thought it would disassemble the whole car.

Dad and Becky's doors did the same thing, but they were obviously used to it. Dad started the car which sounded like he was killing the motor, but eventually the ignition caught and we were reversing out the driveway.