Chapter 16

CHAPTER 16

I raced out the front door and jumped into the passenger seat of Taylor's car. I pulled the door shut behind me and I flung my handbag over my shoulder, into the backseat.

"Okay, are you ready this time?" Taylor said in frustration. He was rather annoyed when I'd insisted I'd had to use the bathroom. After that encounter, we'd driven down the road when I realised that my money was left at home.

"Yes, I promise, Tay-Tay," I said, grabbing his cheek like a grandmother would do to her grandchildren.

He couldn't help but smile at his new nickname. He started the car, and soon enough, we were travelling down the Midland Highway to Geelong to do some baby item shopping.

When we finally arrived at the shopping centre in central Geelong, Taylor parked the car in the undercover parking and we walked, hand-in-hand, to the lifts.

We got in the lift which already contained six people. I received many disgusted looks and heard comments about teen pregnancy spread around. Taylor pulled me tightly into his arms and turned us away from an elderly lady who had the rudest expression.

When the lift reached our floor, Taylor pulled me out before anyone else could escape. The shopping centre was busy, but Taylor led me around to the side of the lift where there were only a few people.

He knelt down slightly so that he was to eye level with me. He wiped the space under my eyes, and only then did I realise that I was crying. It was stupid that I'd let such ignorance effect me this way. They didn't know the whole story, yet they were so quick to judge.

"Don't let naïve people mess with your head sweetheart," he kissed my forehead. "They're ignorant and they don't see the beauty in which you hold."

I smiled at his too-polite words, and wiped the excess tears. "Thanks, Tay," I said, leaning into the space between us to kiss him, "I love you," I whispered into his ear.

"Not as much as I love you," he replied, and before I could protest, he spoke, "Let's do some baby shopping. What do we need again, Nas?" He already knew, but he'd made me repeat it countless times.

"Baby cot," I said as he ticked it off on his fingers, "change table," he ticked that one off too, "highchair, dresser, pram..." as I continued saying the various items, he continued to count them on his fingers.

And with that, we began walking to the various shops in which sold the items we most desired. We went to furniture shop first, to get that over and done with. When we reached the baby section, there were many different styles and brands to choose from.

Taylor was a little shocked with the amount of variety. "O...kay... Which one do you want Nas?" his voice sounded nervous; as if reality was crawling back up on his as to the time this would take.

"Umm, well, something basic, modern but yet stylish. Sort of like umm, a polished wood finish."

At that, we started walking through the different furniture sets, trying to find the perfect one. In the third isle of assembled furniture, Taylor called over to me, seeming eager that he'd found the right one.

I raced over to him, knocking over a display sign which I reluctantly stood up again. I made my way over to Taylor - finally - and knew that he'd found the perfect set. He'd spotted a furniture pack which contained a cot, changing table and dresser, all of the same style. It was basic wood, polished with a clean finish. The cot had square railings, which was exactly what I'd wanted. A plus, the pack contained a bed which was for when the child was old enough - it came free of charge.

"It's perfect Tay. Exactly what I wanted," I said as I curled my arm around his waist.

"Excellent," he said before calling for the salesman who was standing around, waiting to be needed.