Chapter 20

CHAPTER 20

My heart skipped a beat as soon as I saw the blonde hair. My lungs were frozen, ceasing any oxygen flow, and I felt my throat tighten in fear. I wouldn't even be able to scream to Taylor for help.

On second glance, I saw the blonde was less natural looking to the cropping I'd been dreading. When I saw smoky grey eyes instead of bright blue ones, my adrenaline calmed, but only sped up as I wondered why this all but forgotten person would be doing here after eight months of no contact whatsoever.

"Kayleigh?" I asked in disbelief.

"Nasa?" her voice was shaky and it was now evident that she'd been crying. Tissues swarmed in her palms and there were bright red rims around her puffy eyes.

"What's happened, Kayleigh?" I could only fear what her answer would be.

Those fears became reality when she mumbled in a barely audible breath, "Chad."

I groaned internally that this idiotic masochist could do something to get a reaction like this to Kayleigh - my once best friend. Was this a plan to break me through Kayleigh? That possibility seemed very, very likely.

"Come in Kay," I breathed.

She stumbled through the front door after a short thanking and I led her to the lounge room. Taylor wasn't here, so I guessed that he was still upstairs. Kayleigh sat down on the couch, and I stood, not knowing what to do. I handed her the tissue box after she broke into a fit of sobs.

"I'll be back in a second," I announced before darting up the stairs to find Taylor.

He was in the bathroom washing his hands and he smiled as he heard me enter. I closed the door behind me but I couldn't form any words. Taylor dried his hands before seeing my blank expression fully.

"What's wrong, Nas?" he asked, putting the towel down and placing his hands on either side if my face.

"My friend from Hawthorn's here. She's downstairs balling her eyes out. I asked her what's wrong and she said something about Chad," my voice broke on the name and I began to fight the inevitable sobs to no prevail, "I think that he's done something to her."

Taylor wiped the tears from my eyes and pulled me into his arms. I pulled away though, ceasing my tears, remembering that I'd sworn to never shed a tear over him again.

"He doesn't deserve my tears, but yet he forces these fears," I couldn't help but smile at how my words sounded together.

Taylor showed only a pained expression; I knew that he wanted Chad gone just as much as I did. I didn't say anymore; I only grabbed his hand and pulled him downstairs with me.

When Kayleigh saw Taylor, her eyes popped wide and a different pained expression crossed her face. It almost looked like... regret?

Taylor sat in the arm chair, facing Kayleigh and pulled me into his lap. He wrapped his arms around me securely and whispered, "Go ahead," in my ear.

I took a deep breath and looked to Kayleigh. Her crying had ceased, but something small would have the ability to start the tears flowing again. "Okay, what's Chad done and why have you come here after eight months of no contact?"

Kayleigh steadied her breathing before answering with no eye contact. "I know I haven't spoken for ages... and I'm sorry. But it was better this way. For you, at least."

Taylor's arms lightly tightened around me. "I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, Kay. And you didn't answer about Chad."

"I just did," she mumbled, a few tears escaping her eyes.