10.

"I don't understand Ebony Summers. Why are we trusting this insane creature when my mission was to kill it?"

"I don't know if you are able even to understand this." I rubbed my temples in frustration. "The darkness is gone, and we need to find it. It is out there somewhere looking for a new home, and unfortunately, Callan here might be its next target. We can't allow him to be hurt. You have to help us get Carter and destroy this evil for good." I sat across from Ariel in the sitting room as Leon paced the floor behind me nervously, and my boys sat beside me. "We need your help. We can't do this alone."

"You understand what you are asking of me? The risks that must be taken? I might not even survive such a thing, let alone Carter. If I can reach him, there is no guarantee that he will even survive this. I am ripping him out of hell. You understand that, right? Hell!"

"Ariel, I don't want to put you or Carter in any danger, but if we don't do something, then the darkness will win, and we can't let that happen. I won't let it hurt my friends damn it." I yelled as tears poured from my eyes. "I lost everything to that evil, and I'm not letting it win without a fight. If I could go to hell and get Carter, then I would, but I've been told that is a ridiculous plan."

"It is indeed."

"So that is why I need your help. You found this world, Ariel, and you are the greatest creature I have ever meet. You never lost your faith in me, and I love you for that. You are my friend, and I will always be there for you, but I need your help to save my family. Please." I wiped the tears running down my cheek. "You are our only hope at saving the world."

"You consider me a friend?" He looked confused at my words.

"You are my friend. You risked everything to find me, and that is what friends do for each other. We protect each other until the end."

Ariel stared at me strangely as I wiped tears from my eyes. He stood up and walked towards me, still watching me. "I will try for you, Ebony Summers. I will try it for my friend."

I looked up into his confused handsome face and smiled. "Thank you." I stood up and hugged his tall, muscular frame as he froze like a statue to my touch. "Thank you for everything."

I felt his arms around me suddenly. "You are most welcome, but as I said before, there is no guarantee that Carter will survive this. I don't know how strong he is anymore. This crossing over will take its toll on both of us."

"Unfortunately, we don't have a choice here. I will be here waiting for you to return, though."

He nodded. "Then, I must prepare for the journey. I will be back tomorrow night. Until then, you cover this house in protective symbols and stay together. If you need me, then you call."

"Thank you, my friend. I will be forever in your debt."

"No need for that. I'm more than happy to help a friend and rid the world of this evil. I will return tomorrow. Stay safe." And with that, Ariel was gone.

"What did he say?" Leon said behind me.

I sighed. "He has agreed to help us. He will return tomorrow, and then we get Carter back."

"Holy shit, this is intense," Jake said, jumping off the sofa and bouncing up and down on his toes.

"Can he do this?" Callan said, next to me.

"He said he couldn't guarantee that Carter will survive this. Is this a risk we are all willing to take?" I looked around the room nervously as my heart beat hard in my chest. "We risk losing him forever if we fail this."