14.

"I've missed you so much, Ebony," Henry said as he held me tightly in his arms. "I've been searching for you for so long. I knew I would find you. I just knew it."

"I was so worried I would never see you again." I squeezed him tighter. I sat up and looked at him. His face looked tired, and he had a huge scar running along his jawline that wasn't there before. I touched it with my finger. "What happened to you?"

"It's a very long story that I will tell you one day." He smiled at me as his eyes traced every inch of my face. "You look..."

"I know." I rolled my eyes. "I look like shit, but it's been a long day."

"No, you look wonderful, just as I remember you. You haven't aged at all. I've been searching for you for ten years now, and you haven't aged at all in that time. Not even one tiny scratch on your face."

I blushed. "My scars are on the inside, unfortunately. You look different, though. You look all grown up and buff." He put me back on the ground. "Holy shit Henry, look at your arms." I touched his muscular arms. "Where did these come from?"

He smiled. "I've been kind of busy."

"Doing what? Lifting buildings over your head?"

He laughed. "Ruling the vampire world."

"Ruling? What about your father?"

"He was killed unfortunately during battle about eight years ago now."

"Holy shit!" I covered my mouth in shock. Henry, are you the king of vampires now?" I gasped.

He smiled softly. "I am." He nodded.

"Oh my goodness, Henry! That is amazing. I mean, I'm so sorry to hear about your father." I bit my lip nervously. "He was a great vampire."

"Thank you." Henry bowed his head slightly. "He died with the highest honour."

"So shit just got real, huh? You're the king."

"Yes, shit just got very real." He laughed. "I have missed your words."

"I missed all of you." I hugged him tightly again. "I'm so glad your here."

"Me too. Are you ready to go home?"

I looked up at him. "You're taking me home?"

He nodded. "Carter has requested that I take you back to the castle until he returns."

"Returns? Where is he going?" I looked confused.

"Apparently, he has a lead on the darkness. I am to escort Callan and yourself back to my world until he returns."

"Oh, ok. What about Jake?" Jake always stays with me?

"Carter said that Jake is going with him." Henry shrugged. "Apparently he volunteered his services."

My heart froze at his words. "Oh."

"Is Jake ok?" Henry said as he saw my reaction. "I saw him just before you came in, and he seemed different? Not as childlike as he used to be."

I sighed softly as I thought about my last conversation with Jake. "Honestly, I have no idea. I just wish he would talk to me, but he's being really distant and confusing. I can't believe he volunteered to go with Carter. He always stays with me." I felt a twang of pain in my heart as I thought about being away from Jake.

"I'm sure he's just in one of his moods. You know how stroppy he gets." Henry smiled. "I'm sure he will be back to his old arrogant and annoying self in no time."

"Yeah, I guess." I put on a smile. "I'm just so glad you're here. I can't believe I'm talking to a king. Do I address you as your royal highness the king now?"