S1E04: Part 2

AN: a lot of deep conversation between Bailey and 10K in this one which I'll apologize for now, but it was either this or sticking Bailey with the others and having a chapter that basically mirrored the entire episode

Doc had only been gone a few minutes and Bailey was already worried. He'd gone into the building alone to meet with the General who Bailey thought sounded more than a little unreliable. She did everything in her power to distract herself from her worry but it wasn't easy with few Z's to kill and nowhere to go. Since arriving at Camp Blue Sky Doc had become like an uncle to her, a wacky fun uncle you couldn't help but love being around. He'd added something to the bleakness that was life after the end of the world, whether it was stories about the eighties, or the quirky comments he always seemed to have, Doc made Bailey laugh, something that was rare these days and she didn't want to lose that, life wouldn't be the same if she did. So to distract herself she stayed in the truck with 10K, the sniper was still such a puzzle to her that if she focused on him there would be no room left in her head for worry. Right now he was laying belly down on the roof of the truck sniping zombies in the distance.

"1,091." He said as one dropped, "1,092." Another down.

"Can I ask you something?" Bailey questioned after he'd stopped counting, she stood from the truck bed and rested her arms on the roof. 10K looked over his left shoulder at her somewhat confused. His eyebrow was raised as he stared at her and she noticed a small scar that cut through it and wondered if that happened while fighting off Z's. Finally he shrugged and turned back to look through the scope of his rifle.

"Sure."

"Back at the refinery. . . " she began deciding to start with a light question, "what did you mean when you said 'fracking zombies'?"

It obviously wasn't the question 10K was expecting as he gave a dry chuckle. Then he cleared his throat and looked back over his shoulder at her.

"My mom." He answered, "She didn't like cussing." He turned back to his scope, "She. . .she died when I was little, she got sick and just. . . didn't make it."

Bailey noticed how he started to sound choked up, talking about his mom was obviously as painful for him as it was talking about his dad.

"I'm sure your mom's a beautiful angel." She said trying to make him feel better. He looked away for a moment before composing himself and turning to her.