his family doesnt like you

"you have to meet them eventually." colby laughed.

"oooorrrr i could just never meet them." i whined back, laughing.

"my parents love you so i'm sure the rest of my family will too." he reassured me.

"i hope so." i said, flopping back onto the bed beside him.

"you're so cute." he told me, moving hair out of my face, which made me look at him confused.
"you just care so much. it's adorable." he told me.

"well of course i care. i love you and i don't want your family to despise me." i joked.

"i know my grandparents will love you. and that's all that really matters." he told me.

"i guess i should start getting ready then." i said, getting off of colbys childhood bed to get in the shower.

-

"i don't wanna go in." i laughed, running my hands over my face. we were in colbys car outside of colbys grandparents house.

"babyyy, it'll be okay." he laughed.

"okay, okay. let's go." i groaned, opening the car door.

"ready?" he asked when we got to the door.

"as ready as i'll ever be i guess." i told him with a slight laugh.

"hi grandma!" colby said to his grandma as he opened the door.

"hi honey! oh, and you must be adelaide! i've been looking forward to meeting the girl who stole my grandsons heart!" she smiled, going to hug me.

i noticed colby give me a big smile. she's so sweet.

"it's so nice to meet you!" i told her as we pulled away from the hug.

"please, make yourself at home! dinner will be ready soon." she smiled, walking into the kitchen. lesa and layne were already here so at least i knew them as well.

"addi, this is my grandad." colby introduced.

-

colby and i made sure to be early so i could just meet people as they came in.

his cousins, lucy, lauren and carter. their parents came in as well. everything was going well and i had kind of relaxed a bit since it seemed like his family was all pretty chill.

i met another set of his aunts and uncles as well as two more cousins.

i was sitting in the living room, talking to his mom and his aunt lindsay. we were talking about colby and i's current apartment in LA.

when colby moved out of the trap house, he moved into an apartment alone and then my lease ended and we decided i'd just move in with him. lindsay was very sweet, just like lesa.

around 1:30, his last aunt and uncle came in. i believe he told me miara and james.

"hey aunt miara, uncle james, this is my girlfriend adelaide." colby introduced us.

"hi! it's nice to meet you." i smiled, shaking hands with james and then holding my hand out to shake miaras hand. she simply looked at my hand and moved to the side.

"it's nice to meet you too, adelaide." james smiled.

i shot a look to colby and he looked pissed at her. we watched miara set down her fale designer bag. her cheap perfume could be smelt from the next room over.

she walked to the kitchen so colby and i retreated back to the living room where he was going to say something but didn't... due to being cut off by his grandmother.

his grandma called for dinner so we went and took a seat. i was next to lauren, which i was thankful for. we're the same age so i'm sure we could find something to talk about.

-

"so, adelaide, how old are you?" miara asked from across the table, cutting me out of the conversation i was having with lauren and lucy about which salvatore brother is better.

"i'm 19." i told her with a smile.

"that's a bit young don't you think? colby is 22." she replied.

"it's only 3 years. age is just a number." i replied, fidgeting with my hands under the table due to the uncomfortableness in the room. i felt colby grab my hand in a protective nature, however he didn't say anything.

"so where did you meet colby?" she asked me.

"uhhh we met because my best friend, tara, is dating his friend jake. i'm sure you've heard of them." i smiled.

"so are you just using him for money?" she spit.

"excuse me?" i asked, taken back from her question.

"you heard me." she said. colby was awfully quiet during this.

"miara." lesa warned.

"not to be rude but i make my own money." i told her.

"adelaide makes more money than i do, aunt miara." colby said, a slight anger laced in his voice. i could tell he was trying to hold it in.

"oh so then you're just a slut, huh? waltzing into colbys life to use him for a bit and then you'll leave him." she spit again.

"i can't do this." i said, abruptly standing from my chair and pushing it in. i grabbed my coat and was out the door.

i had no where to go, other than colbys of course. but i wouldn't leave here without him. i could hear him yelling inside the house. it was as clear as day. i sat on the porch step, my face in my hands as a few tears rolled down my face. this is exactly what i was afraid of.

"what the hell was that, aunt miara? adelaide and i have been together for well over a year. clearly, if she were using me then she would have left me by now. i can't believe you just did that." i heard him yell from inside the house.
i heard the door open so i looked up from my hands.

"babe, i'm sorry. i didn't know she'd do that." colby said to me.

"it's alright, colbs." i said with a really nasty voice crack.

"it's not okay. let's just go home and we can talk about it there." he told me. i nodded.

"i'd like to say bye to everyone first." i told him.

"seriously?" he asked.

"yes. i don't want everyone else to hate me too."

"you're too good for this world, princess." he told me, making me shoot him a small smile as we walked into the house.