Chapter 11

I knew that life hated me, but I didn't think it was this bad

I knew that life hated me, but I didn't think it was this bad. To take my daughter away from me with no warning. And now they want to feed her to the sharks.

I got the papers a few days after the phone call and let me say, this is complete bullshit. After four, almost five, years she wants to sue for custody. Like I said, bullshit.

I don't even know how to prepare for this. What do I do. Do I hire a lawyer? Do I just lay down and show my stomach?

No. I can do this. I've been able to take care of my family for four years now, nothing is going to stop me from doing so.

My phone rings and I look at the caller.

"Hey Mom,"

"Don't 'hey Mom' me! It's been days since you last talked to me! You would think that since I have a granddaughter and that y'all live away from me, I would get a call every other day. But no!"

I sigh. "Mom, I know. It's just that things have been crazy as of recent and I've been trying to fix it."

"What is so important that you couldn't give your old lady a call, hm?"

"Alyssa is suing for custody."

----------------------------------------

Mom immediately hung up, saying that her grandbaby needs her. Because her son isn't going through this either. Nope. Not at all.

I cleaned up the house a little, knowing that she would nag me about the mess. Her mess is a dish that you just finished eating off of.

The doorbell rings and I open it. I see my mother and Charlie standing there, having a conversation.

"Oh honey! This young lady is so sweet!" My mom gushes.

"Aw, Mrs. Rivers, you're flattering me too much!" Charlie blushes.

"Nonsense!" Mom shushes her. "You should come inside and stay a while. I would love to know more about the girl my son is smitten with."

"I would love to but I have to get back to work soon. I just came to drop off Abby and Hunter's favorite sweets."

"That is too bad. How about dinner at my home Friday?" Mom offers.

"Oh, um..." Charlie looks at me to answer.

"She would love to Mom," I smile.

"Wonderful! I'm going to go check on my little bubble butt." Mom smiles at Charlie before pushing me out of the way to get to my daughter.

"I love you too Ma!" I call back at her.

"Whatever," she calls before going up the stairs.

I look at Charlie and smile. "You just got yourself in some trouble."

"You're the one who signed me up." She smiles back at me.

I give into the urge to kiss Charlie. We keep it short and sweet, knowing we both have things to do.

"Thank you," I tell her once we pull away.

"For what?" She looks up at me with furrowed brows.

"For being here for Abby and I. We only get this kind of support from family." She raises her hand to rest on my right cheek before giving me one final peck.

"You don't have to worry about that."

I realize that this would be the perfect opportunity to finally ask her. We've been talking for a little over a month and we've been on a few dates.

I pull away from Charlie and grab her hand. I grab the box she brought for Abby and I and place it behind me, grabbing her other hand.

"I want to ask you something, and don't feel like you have to say yes."

"Ok," she looks at me skeptically.

"I know we've only been talking for a month or so and we've been on a few dates, but everything with you feels so real. It feels like I can breathe for the first time in years. Abby adores you, and I know my mother does too. What I'm trying to say is, do you want to take this next step in our relationship?"

"And what is that?" She asks.

"Will you be my girlfriend, officially?"

"Yes," Charlie smiles up at me. "I would like that."

I smile down at her and kiss her one more time. Even though all of our kisses feel like the first, this one feels different. It feels like I'm sealing my fate.

"Hunter, I need to go. I promise that I'll text you later."

"Ok," I reluctantly let her go.

She steps back with one last smile before going to her car. I watch her pull out of my driveway before going back inside.

I pick up the box and open it. Inside are a few devil's food cupcakes and oreo cookies. I smile at the first memory of Charlie and close the box. I look up and find my mother standing there with a smirk on her face.

"Got anything you want to share with your mother Hunter?"

"Nope," I smile at her.

"Are you lying to me?"

"No, you probably saw the whole thing knowing you." I move past her and take the desserts to the kitchen.

"Come on Hunter! You're the only child of mine who doesn't have anyone special in their life! I just want you and Abby to be happy." She tells me sadly.

"Well the last time that happened I was left with a three year old daughter." I snap at her.

Mom takes in a shaky breath. I sigh before turning towards her.

"I'm sorry Ma, I didn't mean to snap at you. It's just," I let out another sigh. "This is my first relationship in years. I'm scared that if I say anything that I will screw something up. I'm scared that if things don't work out, Abby will be attached to Charlie. And I know that I just asked her to be my girlfriend, but these things still sit in the back of my mind. I can't help but think that as soon as something goes my way, everything else will crash and burn."

Mom steps towards me and places a hand on my arm.

"Hunter, I know you're terrified. Trust me, I felt the same way when I got here. But I know you. I know that you will always make the right decision for your family. And letting Charlie into your life, that is a good decision. She loves Abby, I can see it. If she wasn't right for you, I wouldn't have invited her to dinner. Now things may be difficult right now, but I know that you will come out stronger. All of you."

I listen to her and let the words sink in. I could potentially be happy. Happier than before. I could have someone to love me unconditionally, along with Abby. I could potentially have more kids to love and spoil.

Well, kids are a bit of a stretch. But hopefully, one day, that can be my future. And I think I want Charlie there with me.

Hey y'all! So I forgot to announce in the last chapter that we hit 2k reads almost two weeks ago! I had so many announcements that it completely slipped my mind.

My new book will be released in a few hours, so be on the look out for that as well!

Let me know what y'all think of this chapter.

Do you like Hunter's mom?

Hunter and Charlie are official!!

What do you think will happen at the dinner?

Please vote and comment and I'll see y'all in the next chapter!