Chapter 13

I sit in my car as I look up at the nice house

I sit in my car as I look up at the nice house. It's nothing big, but I can tell that Hunter's family is doing well.

Red bricks hold the house together and a small porch sits in front of the door. A small bench sits beneath the window. Flowers are intricately placed around the house.

I let out one final breath before leaving my car with the pie I made. Hunter mentioned that his mother was obsessed with apple pie, similar to John's apple turnover obsession.

It'll be ok. Hunter is going to be here. Plus, his mother already likes you. I think to myself.

I walk up the steps and hear shouting but I can't make any of it out. As soon as I ring the doorbell the shouting stops.

The door swings open and Nancy stands there with a smile. "Hello Charlie!"

"Hi Nancy," I give her a careful hug because of the pie.

"Oh! You didn't have to bring anything."

"I wanted to! You invited me to this dinner and it felt rude not to bring anything."

"Well let's bring it inside and you can tell me what you brought." She widens the door to let me in.

"Hunter had mentioned you love apple pie so I made one for you." I hand it to her.

Nancy immediately takes it from my hands and smiles wider. I chuckle at her excited reaction.

"Charlie!" Abby yells from the living room.

"Hey girlie!" I open my arms and crouch down to hug her. "How are you doing?"

Her smile breaks out to a full grin. "Great! Daddy bought a hand mixer a few days ago and now I can make fancy desserts!"

"That's great!"

"Would you come over and make something with me?"

"Of course!"

"Yay!" Abby jumps excitedly.

"Abby, honey, will you help me finish dinner?" Nancy asks.

"Yes Nana!" Abby looks back at Nancy before turning to me again. "I'm going to help Nana with dinner now!"

"Go on, I'll go see your uncle." Abby skips ahead of Nancy, her dress following her motions.

I get up from my crouching position and catch my balance. I follow where Nancy and Abby went off to but instead of turning right, I keep going straight.

I walk into the living room and find John and his wife Emily sitting on the couch. John is the first one to notice me and offers me a smile.

"Hey Charlotte!" He gets off the couch and gives me a hug.

"Hey John."

Emily follows John's actions and gives me a hug.

"So where's your little munchkin?" I ask. Babies are one of my weaknesses.

"He's sleeping in one of the guest rooms. He'll be up in a few-" Emily is cut off by the baby monitor squealing. "Well speak of the devil." Emily picks up a baby bag hidden behind the couch and grabs the baby monitor. "Gabe probably needs to be fed so I'm going to go check on him."

"Are you sure you don't want me to go?" John asks.

"I'm sure. Plus you don't carry breast milk." Emily winks at him and heads down the hallway.

I laugh at the joke and turn towards John. "So where's Hunter?"

"You mean your boyfriend?" He teases.

"And your brother." The smile slips off his face and he looks around to see if anyone is listening.

"Let's go outside." I follow him to the front of the house and we sit on the porch steps.

"So where is he?"

"He had a hearing today."

"What? I thought the first one wasn't until next month!"

"Alyssa somehow got it pushed to today. I don't know the exact details because he only had forty minutes to get there, but I'm going to be honest with you. I'm fucking petrified." I look at John.

I've known this man since my freshman year of high school. John has always been calm, cool, and collected but now, all I see is a man who is scared for what is to come with his brother's family.

I place my hand on John's shoulder and rub it a few times. "John, I feel the same way. I've only been a part of his life for a few months, but I feel so connected with him. Abby and Hunter don't deserve what is happening to them."

John lets out a sigh and rubs his face. "I just can't help but feel useless. I love them so much and it hurts to see them going through this with no help. Hunter never lets us help with anything. I just want to be there for him this one time."

I sit there silently and put my hand on my lap. If Hunter won't let his brother help, why would he let me?

Hey y'all! I have a lot to say so the next update y'all might get is an A/N so look out for that.