Chapter 1

In the library of the bright white mansion, Ethan summoned the only person who had always been helpful to him

"I need you to find her," Ethan said with conviction as Elliot entered the library. "I can't wait any longer than I already have." Ethan's eyebrows twitched with annoyance as he sat down on the chair with his elbows resting on the desk, and the palm of his hands resting on his forehead. The glass window behind him overlooked the grey sky, impending thunderstorm.

"I already have, sir," the faithful confidant said before he produced a piece of paper from his coat pocket and slipped it across the desk. He lightly pressed on his crisp black suit, always looking sharp.

Ethan picked the piece of paper. On it was the location of a small town and the name of a high school.

"One would think that the girl was smart enough to relocate. It was rather easy to discover her," Elliot said and then slipped a photo of the girl- she stood on the staircase of a school, smiling as she looked at someone who was not in the photo. The girl had long honey-brown hair, green eyes, full lips, and a pointy nose.

Ethan's lips parted a little as he looked at the address. He thought about the town he had not visited for almost two decades, but he was obligated to go back for her now because she was irreplaceable.

The said town had a small number of people living in it, but it was rich in its history and celebrated art and culture. Among the people was one such girl who swings between theatrics and simplicity.

In the school cafeteria, holding the script in her hand, Olivia stood by the window with the sunlight bouncing off of her face as she said, "the sound of the rain against the window resonates with the beat of my heart. Agony! When shall thou perish? Would you be a companion until my dying breath or will I find solace in you?"

"Will you stop being so cheesy and dramatic all the time?" Natalie exclaimed as she annoyingly looked at Olivia.

"It's the writer, not me." She said with a blank face. "I need to memorize my lines for the play."

Olivia held the script out in her hands and continued rehearsing her lines, although anyone hardly seemed to notice her in the busy school cafeteria except her friends. There was seldom a moment when the three friends- Olivia, Natalie, and Kaden were not together.

The ever-exuberant Olivia paid no mind to her friend. "The lunch break is the only time when I can bring my speech and dialogues to perfection."

"Oh come on!" Natalie rolled her eyes. "I wanna talk to you! Kaden, will you tell her she's being annoying?"

Kaden carefully glanced at Natalie and then shifted his gaze to Olivia, who had stopped looking at the script and was now interested in the conversation.

"Olivia, Nat wants me to convey her love and support for you, and wishes you nothing but the best for your performance," Kaden said.

"Nat! You're so sweet," Olivia said, feigning ignorance, and went on to lovingly caress her cheek.

Natalie swatted her arm away and said, "now that I have your attention, I went out with Jason last night but he turned out to be a huge jerk."

Kaden snickered. "Here we go again."

"What happened?" asked Olivia as she took a seat beside her friend, who sat opposite Kaden.

"So, you know how I matched with him on this dating app and we've been texting for so long. He seemed really cool, he's also very good-looking. I met him at this cafe and we were having a nice conversation up until he just started yelling at the waiter for spilling some water. It got so awkward from that moment. And you won't believe the nerve of this guy! He had the audacity to try to kiss me after showing me this horrible personality of his. I literally had to run away from there!"

Contemplating the given information Olivia said, "so to be perfectly clear, you went out with a guy who you had never met. You perceived a notion of him in your mind based on those texts and in your mind he seemed perfectly agreeable, and a gentleman. You built up an expectation that would definitely lead to disappointment, which it did. How dare he defy your expectations!"

Kaden snickered out loud. The dramatic flair and subtle sarcasm seemed to bring the hypocrisy of online dating to light and proved to be thought-provoking for Natalie.

The casual conversation between the three friends continued until lunchtime was over.

______________________________________

Don't forget to vote!

Thank you