Chapter 26

The night had covered the forest with darkness like a blanket

The night had covered the forest with darkness like a blanket. There was no moon in the sky. The only source of light was the multiple fire lamps that illuminated the cleared space in the forest.

Aubrey huffed as she sat under a tree, drenched in sweat after training.

"You worked hard," Lan said, handing her a towel.

Lan had been Aubrey's training partner for many years. They had developed a friendship but Aubrey hated her when they were kids. The two were too similar. Their personalities often clashed and they always found themselves competing with one another, even over small things. Over the years Aubrey realized that Lan didn't need to be her enemy; instead, she could be her strength. Aubrey learned from Lan and rose about her.

"Not hard enough," Aubrey replied while wiping herself down.

Aubrey had spaced out during training. She didn't seem to be entirely present at the moment and Lan, being vigilant, had noticed it.

"Is something wrong between you and him?" Lan asked, not looking at her. She grabbed the water bottle and took a sip.

"No, nothing is wrong," Aubrey said, trying to convince herself. "In fact, he is everything I want him to be."

"He is all anyone can talk about. All I hear anywhere I go is 'Ethan this and Ethan that'. I also heard that he doesn't talk much. Is it true?"

"Yes, but I am okay with it. I like it. He has got this mystery way about him. Makes him seem sexy," Aubrey said. "He is just in his shell. He has never been around so many people. He just needs some time to get familiar with the pack, and our lifestyle. He'll be okay soon."

"Other than his mysterious aura, what do you like about him?" Lan asked.

"I..." Aubrey began but shut her mouth when she was tongue-tied. "I don't know..."

Lan gave her a look that said 'are you serious'.

"I just like him," she said exasperatingly shrugging her shoulders. "I do not need a reason. We might not know each other that well but we will have plenty of time for that."

"If you say so," Lan simply said, before walking over to watch the monthly rank fights. Aubrey followed her.

***

Ethan stood with his hands crossed on his chest and eyebrows furrowed as he watched the friendly fight between two werewolves. He glanced at Aubrey, who stood beside him with her arm around his waist, and then restored his gaze towards the fight.

In the forest of the pack lay a ring where fights were conducted monthly to rank each werewolf.

"Your pack members are strong," Ethan observed as the two wolves went on fighting for a time longer than usual.