Chapter 12

"There are two things you can't force a person to do: love and respect." Alpha Victor said. "I will not force you to do either of those... yet. You may go back to your home, but know that I will come for you in a few days."

Before Olivia could say something, Victor left the room. She was being escorted out by Mico, who held her roughly by the arm. Once they were outside, after passing a few lavish and heavily decorated hallways and descending two flights of stairs, Olivia perceived the precise look of where they were.

A huge old white mansion stood proudly on the slope of the hill, rising above the rest of the village. The surroundings of the mansion were neat, but as she was being taken deeper into the village, the neatness and cleanliness kept deteriorating. She chose to ignore it and seemed to be mesmerized by the culture and folk songs that were being played at the festival. She carefully observed the intricate designs of the clothes that the women wore. It was nothing like the fashion of the outside world. The paintings of the moon, moon goddess, and wolves hung in several stalls. She had paused in her step for a moment to observe an intriguing game of marbles played by teenagers, but Mico harshly pulled her as a sign for her to keep walking. Frustrated, Olivia shrugged his arm off of her, and luckily, he did not retaliate.

The festival continued as the day marked its end. The sun was setting low, casting an orange hue over the hills and its people, making their skin glow. The chatter and the hustle-bustle carried on as the music played loud and the kids danced around. Suddenly, Mico shouted a loud greeting to a group of his friends and walked towards them, temporarily forgetting about Olivia.

She seized the opportunity to lose him off her tracks and sprinted deep into the crowded festival. Quietly slipping out of his sight, she blended into the crowd of werewolves.

Ever since she had been abducted, she thought about freedom and going back home. Now, when she had the opportunity, she couldn't leave, not by herself. She felt guilty for being the only one out of that prison, and she decided to do something about it.

She was brainstorming for ways to break Ethan and the rest out of prison when a girl sitting under a tree, far from the madness of the festival, caught her eye. It wasn't the girl that made her stop, but the book that she was reading—a play—'Doctor Faustus' by Christopher Marlowe. Olivia immediately reached into the pocket of her coat and checked the receipt. It was issued for the same book.

She walked towards the girl, who looked 15. The girl seemed like she was mentally far from this place and into the madness of another. Olivia coughed. The girl looked up. She seemed to be perplexed for a moment; however, she seemed to recognize Olivia.

Lillian had a habit of wandering off in the hills, and she came upon Olivia that night by chance. She saw Olivia passing out and didn't know what to do. The only thing she could think of was to keep Olivia warm by draping her coat over her. She ran away quickly, afraid of being caught by a high-ranking member of her pack.