Chapter 14

Ethan stood outside the café, leaning against his car while smoking a cigarette

Ethan stood outside the café, leaning against his car while smoking a cigarette. He looked up at the sky that was covered with cottony light grey clouds. He hoped that it wouldn't rain. The indoor café was brightly lit, giving a clear view of what was happening inside. Ethan put out the cigarette by crushing it with his foot and half-heartedly took walked closer to the entrance of the café.

Inside the cafe, in a tiny booth in the corner, Aubrey sat with her friend, sipping on her drink from a plastic cup. Aubrey had long blond hair, blue eyes, thin arms, long legs, and a beautiful big bright smile on her face as she talked about him.

"The Alpha wants to meet him as soon as possible," Aubrey said, gushing. "I hope he likes him."

Her friend, Katie, who sat oppose her scoffed.

"Of course he will like him," she said to her friend. "The guy is the mate of the Alpha's only daughter."

"Yeah, but you know how my father is. He has always been overprotective of me. I don't want him to hate my mate. It would put me in a very tough position."

"You're worrying about nothing! Your father will like him if you like him. I trust your judgment of character. So everything will be fine." Katie said reassuringly. "Now tell me about him."

Aubrey's cheeks turned slightly pink as took another sip of her drink.

"His name is Ethan. He is 21 and he is very handsome." She unlocked her phone and said, "here, take a look at him." While twirling a lock of her hair, Aubrey lifted her phone and showed a picture of her and Ethan to her friend - a selfie of the two- where Aubrey looked cheerful with her arm around his neck as if she was trying to possess him, whereas he looked uncomfortable with an awkward smile on his face. "Look how cute he is!"

Her friend faked a surprised reaction, but after closely looking at him she said, "He is handsome indeed". She let out a burst of nervous laughter.

"I know, right? All the girls in the pack will be so jealous." Aubrey said as she placed the phone back on the table. The gloss from her pink nail polish glimmered as she brushed her hair off her face. "This is my most liked picture on social media."

"So where did you meet him?" Katie asked.

"At Elliot's mansion. Elliot is like a guardian to Ethan. Ethan had no one else to take care of him while growing up. Father had some business to discuss with Elliot and he took me along with him. I wasn't interested in the meeting at all so I walked around the mansion and saw Ethan in the gardens. He was clicking pictures of the birds when I sneezed and the birds flew away. We looked at each other and we knew instantly that we were each other's mates. I spent the rest of my time getting to know him. It was beautiful. The weather, the garden filled with flowers, and him. That's when I took the picture that I showed you." She paused. "We only separated when I received a call from my father. I went back to the mansion, leaving him alone in the garden. But we promised to see each other again. I wish I had more time to spend with him though. He had to leave to take care of some important business. But he promised to come back as soon as possible. I wish father had met him that day. Then I wouldn't be so nervous right now."

"Your first meet sounds lovely," Katie said smilingly. "When do you see him again?"

"Soon, I hope. We will go through all the ceremonies then." Aubrey said.

"You must be excited about the marking and mating ceremony." Her friend said, wriggling her eyebrows in a teasing manner.

"Katie! That's very un-lady-like." Aubrey said in a hushed tone, her cheeks were flushed. Katie continued to challengingly stare at her with pursed lips. "Alright! Yes! Yes, I am excited." She paused, composing herself, and continued, "Never make me say it again!"

Katie laughed, but soon the mirth morphed into a bittersweet feeling. "I am going to miss you."

"You asked me to not talk about you leaving and yet you are the one who is bringing it up? Tsk. Tsk," Aubrey remarked.

Katie had to leave the pack to be with her mate who belonged to another pack. She was happy to finally be with her mate but she was also sad about leaving her home.

"I am going to miss you too," Aubrey said with a serious look on her face.

***

Ethan felt apprehensive about seeing his mate. He did not know what it was, but it had the opposite effect to what he should have felt when he saw his mate for the first time. He was certain that Aubrey was his mate; however, the fact remained complicated to him. The day he met her, the day he found out that they were mates, was the very day when he left the place to find Olivia. Strangely he did not feel a strong connection towards Aubrey. She, on the other hand, was head over heels for him. Her wolf wanted to claim and mark him immediately. Her strong feelings and incessant need to possess him made him want to run away from her. Since he had no connection to his wolf, he did not share the same feelings as her. However, he understood that he had a duty towards her; he needed to take responsibility, and he had to at least try to make things work with her.

Overhearing the conversation between the two friends, Ethan changed his mind to see her. It was unusual for a werewolf to be this distant from his mate. He had heard stories about how blissful it is to have a mate and how magical the feeling was. But for him, it was stressful rather than utopian.

Something else had been occupying his mind and the thought was ceaseless. The fact that a stranger had a greater knowledge of his existence rather than himself bothered him. He thought of the incident that took place a few days ago. Ethan had noticed only one person who had observed something different about him. He couldn't be at ease unless he found out who he truly was.

So he slowly backed away from the café having one last look at Aubrey and getting into his car he drove away to the place where he might possibly take his final breath.

___

Don't forget to vote!

Thank you