An Inventor's Muse

Black magic had always been viewed as something evil and the wielders of such magic are the evil themselves. Such was the belief in Magical City after the banishment of black mages when they almost brought the city in serious harm. Up to the present day, that belief wasn't erased, making it hard for Lylia to come out from her shell.

Princess Odette had found Lylia wandering off alone in one of the towns she visited. Upon noticing the faint black magic that resided inside the child, she decided to take her under her care. And after five years, Lylia is already old enough to enter the academy of magic, Lion Academy.

Lylia was aware that her power won't be welcomed by the people so she was hesitant to attend the academy. However, Princess Odette convinced her to at least go and try to mingle with her peers. And to slightly make up for her black magic, Princess Odette made her wear a royal blue trimmed orange dress that fell just above her knees. Her purplish to dark hair turned into fiery blonde.

"Black magic is not evil. If you're a wielder with goodness in your heart, then it goes the same with your black magic," Princess Odette reminded her.

As she stepped into the school grounds during her first day, she repeated the words of the princess inside her head like a broken tape. It soothed and calmed her nerves, and she hoped that she'll make it through that day without causing any uproar.

Meanwhile, Harley Vance, the infamous genius mage also known as the Great Inventor, was by the bell tower where he could oversee the whole campus. Just recently, he was having a slump from his new invention. With his chin on top of his hand, he scanned the school grounds with the hope that he'll find a new inspiration.

However, his sullen mood suddenly turned upside-down when he felt something different. He jumped off from the bell tower and followed where the weird aura was coming from. It was faint that it couldn't be detected by mages who weren't paying much attention but he was positive that it existed.

He entered an unused room without making any noise to conceal his presence. And what he saw inside made him speechless.

"I wanna go home, Snore," Lylia mumbled as she caressed the wide-mouthed creature she created. It kept her company whenever she needed someone to be with. It was her pet. "This school is not for me."

Harley was entranced that he stood at the doorway watching her in silence. He was amazed at how Lylia controls her magic. Not only did she conceal the presence of her black magic but she also created a creature that only she could manipulate. Harley may be one of the best magic students but he had never been able to do that.

"I've decided," he claimed which startled Lylia. She immediately snapped her fingers and made Snore disappear in thin air.

She looked at Harley and felt her heart beating louder and louder due to anxiousness and fear.

"What shall I do? He saw me using black magic! I was too careless! He'll definitely tell everyone! I'll be hated! I'll be cast out from this place!" she thought while trying to speak but could only stutter.

"Please..." she managed to speak and without knowing, her tears welled up in her eyes. She knelt on her knees and begged, "Please, keep this a secret! I... I'll do anything you want, but please, do not speak of what you've seen!"

Harley felt a bit hurt since he looked like a bully, well, he was a bully, but not this time. He only picks a fight with those he can be on par with. He definitely doesn't pick on weaker ones, it would be the lamest thing he'd ever do.

"Don't act as I'll hurt you. Black magic is kinda awesome for me, though it is forbidden to be used. However, since you proposed that you'll do anything I want, then, be my muse," he offered.