Twenty-Nine

Alqasim was behind the wheel driving in so much hurry. The scene of blood he saw had scared him so much he couldn't think of anything but to be in the hospital. Gwoggo was at the back seat with Lifeless Layla. She felt her breath and there was none.

"Ya Salam. Hurry up Alqasim it's like she's dead." Gwoggo cried again feeling like driving the car herself.

A group of nurses helped moved Layla to the to the Emergency ward. Gwoggo and Alqasim sat expectantly each with a different thought.

Alqasim was wondering where her husband was that he left his wife to go through the riskiest moment of her life alone. Gwoggo who sat across him in a waiting chair was raining curses on the devil that did this horrendous thing to the girl. Realizing now was not the time to curse, she decided to pray for her.

In the waiting corridors the emergency room, a nurse has hurriedly helped them lay Layla in a stretcher. A young fair doctor was called and he begin examining Layla her face white.

"How many months has she been pregnant?" The doctor directed the question at Gwoggo who looked back at him tongue tied.

He looked at Alqasim thinking he was the husband who also shook his indicating no.
The young doctor sighed and made his choice. He swiftly got a sample of her blood from her arm and gave it to lab for blood group examination.

Looking back at both Alqasim and Gwoggo, he carefully chose his words. " She has lost a good amount of blood which may put the baby in danger. So we'll operate her and bring out the baby." He watched their eyes dilate in fear. They were shaken.

Having no time, with the condition of the patient, he informed them to get a blood donor and also sign the consent form by her guardian.

Alqasim held Gwoggo's hand and they found a deserted corridor. He lowered his voice, bending so she could hear him.

He was scared.

" Now, Why's she here? Where's her husband Gwoggo? That consent form need to be signed by her guardian and we don't even have time to get him." He stressed the last part.

Gwoggo sighed remembering how helpless Layla was and they needed to do everything right to save her. Her head was beginning to pound from too much stress and she feared her blood pressure could go high.

She held her son's shoulder in an attempt to calm him down.

"We don't have much time Alqasim. We'll have to get someone to donate the blood and you'll sign that form for us. You're her brother too, so you should help with the form."

He looked at his mother bewildered.

"Yes." She looked at him assuringly.

Looking at his mother he nodded agreeing while also having in mind to have her sit down and tell him what was wrong. When he had left to collect the result, he found she was a B+.

Alqasim knew he had the blood type that could give to everyone. He didn't care enough to know it's name but he remembered the Doctor saying it the last time he had donated to his late father.

He got the form and filled the necessary paperwork and finally signed while he shrugged. He was thankful he remembered to bring his ATM card and he made the payment.

He went to the lab and offered to donate blood since they got two bags only from the blood bank.

Gwoggo watched him laid down to rest after his donation and she felt proud of him. She had called Usman already and he had arrived.

Gwoggo sat waiting anxiously for any news. She prayed for Layla again and again. Ya Allah save Layla.

Finally, the door of the theater room opened and the young Doctor came out his face showing a good news already.