Twenty-Four

He felt irritated by the lone tear on his face. How could someone as irrelevant as that meek girl do this to him? How could she be the reason he shed a tear? Damn it!!!

Nothing was making sense for Zayyad on how to see Layla. He had picture a lot of scenarios unimaginable even to him. Ni'imah said she wasn't herself. Was it him? Was it what he did to her? If he wasn't part of it, for all he cares she stop breathing. It didn't matter anyway if she did.

However, guilt instincts had taken a toll on him. The primal feeling he had that whatever was happening with Layla was his doing was unshakable. It is me.

The house became literally uncomfortable for him he debated going back to Kano. He remained in his room checking his phone mindlessly with a single question in his heart. How could he see Layla?

Lunch was served and Zayyad hadn't opened his door since he left the table. Ni'imah said her Salam and entered his room to find him deep in thoughts. He was blankly looking at his screen doing nothing else. She had to call him two times before he was aware of her.

"Ni'imah, What's up??" He stood up from the bed, shoving his phone aside.

"Fineeee. I just didn't see you go out. I was
thinking  we could go for movies in the evening. Whatcha say?" She grinned excitedly.

Zayyad wasn't feeling the vibe to leave his bed let alone the house. That was a terrible time for socializing.

" uhhh... I'm sorry to burst your bubble sis, but I don't feel good."

She kept silent.

" Tell me, what's bothering you? Is it the marriage thingy?" She inched closer, holding her hands.

You don't want to know, trust me. " Marriage is the last thing on my mind Ni'imah. I mean, what's in it? It's basically living together and having babies right?" He chuckled, then shrugged.

She nodded her head in disapproval. " No, it's more than that. It's a deep connection in our spiritual life, a means to regulate our life and relationship with Allah." She looked dreamily at the wall opposite her.

He cleared his throat" Is it about the guy I saw you with yesterday?"

"Yaya!!!!" She closed her face with her hand, blushing.

Zayyad was trying to get something to pick on from, anything, that would settle what he feels at the moment.

" So, you were saying Mom allowed you to go and see the Maid?" He carefully chose his word and hope they wouldn't let him in.

" of course, I had to beg for a day literally. I didn't go alone though. She asked Ilu the Driver to take me there and bring me back." She stated.

"Perhaps is not far?" Just tell me the place already Ni'imah.

" It is. Zaria is quite a journey from here."

OMG so It's Zaria!!!

Zayyad couldn't hide his excitement. His face brightened as though he had gotten a solution to his problem. He could get more of the address from the Driver but what was he thinking? To just go and see Layla? And say what? It didn't make sense at all.

"But Yaya, what's with this question?" She eyed him mischievously.

"What??" He asked her back a bit tensed.

"Layla is a nice girl you know."

"No...No... Don't even go there Ni'imah. How could you think such for God sake. Look, I need to take my shower right now. Shoooo... let's get you out." He took her hand, heading to his door.