Aiden - Twenty-Nine

29 – Aiden

March

I'm forcing myself to take deep breaths as I got out of my truck. Morning skate was a breeze, I got home showered ate, napped and I'm ready for the game. But it is surreal being here. Standing next to my truck in a suit and tie taking in a few more deep breaths, coffee in hand I started walking.

"Excited or nervous?" Davin walked next to me and laughed.

"Fucking both."

"Once you hit the ice it'll all go away."

"Yea, I hope so. I just wasn't expecting to be put on so quick you know?"

"How's that shoulder been?" We walked up to a small crowd of people. They were all yelling for pictures and autographs. Davin stopped for a few so I did as well, then we both pushed through the doors.

"Good. All healed." He nodded as we walked down a long hallway where a bunch of photographers were between us and the locker room doors. They were all snapping pictures as we were walking and talking.

"Awesome, you'll get used to all this too."

"I don't think I'll ever get used to the attention." We both laughed.

"Long as you keep that head on straight and stay focused. Running with you through practices and stuff. You've got this man." I nodded as we both walked in to the locker room and went our separate ways. I let out a breath seeing a jersey hanging with all of my gear and shook my head.

"East!"

"Why did my nickname follow me?" I laughed out. Rads came up and smacked me on the back.

"Change, we warm up together eh?"

"Be right there." I shook my head and started getting changed into shorts and a t-shirt. I stretched and warmed up a little on my own before walking over to the circle of guys kicking a ball. Since I still had to tape up my stick and everything, I just watched them.

"Let's go!" Everyone looked over at Coach and we all filed into the locker room. It was time to get out on the ice for warm-ups. I followed the guys out of the tunnel and on the ice keeping my head down at first.

"Hey East!" I looked up at our Captain. "Found your family." He laughed and pointed. Now, I tried to get everyone tickets but they refused, told me they wanted to buy their own to all be together. So, when I looked up to the seats and saw 34 people in a few rows, all turned around, every single one of them wearing my number I shook my head and skated over to the glass pointing at Jordan.

"Hate you." I laughed, then found Blair holding Ryder up against the glass and tapped it. "Love you." I mouthed to them. I stayed by that corner of the rink all of warm ups and threw each of the kids that came along a puck saving Ryder's for last. I winked and blew a kiss to Blair before skating back off and heading into the tunnel.

"Boy, we've been practicing for this game. You all know they're rivals and are going to be very physical this entire game. We're going to come out with a win, but I still want all of you to play careful. Skate hard, keep the puck, and shoot whenever you have the open. I have nothing further to say so..." Everyone started to clap as the line up was called out. "Delvecchio, Cammano, Capt, York, Lucas, and Dobby between the pipes." I did a double take realizing I'm going out on the ice first.

"Shocked?" Capt bumped against my side, since he was next to me getting his skates on.

"Uh, yes." We both laughed and finished getting ready.

"Come on center, let's see what you got." I gave him a nod before all of us headed back out on the ice. After the anthems everyone not playing left the ice. I slid to position.