four

After their somewhat pleasant date, Sophia and Jax are walking around the town, talking about anything and everything under the sun.

"You know, I really enjoyed hanging out with you." Sophia admits, looking down at the take out cup from the diner they went to.

"And?"

"And what?" She scoffs, taking a sip of her drink after she pops the straw-impaled lid off the styrofoam cup.

"How you were wrong about me and that I'm not some cocky asshole-"

"Oh please." She rolls her eyes, stopping in her tracks. "This one date doesn't fix everything or change anything."

"I thought it wasn't a date." Jax says with that smirk on his face when she blushes. "What's your problem with me?"

"I know guys like you. I've been with guys like you before and it never ended good." She sighs, looking down again, tossing the lid and straw into a nearby trash can.

"I'm not like those guys, Soph." He says quietly, looking over her face.

"You don't know those guys, Jax." She shakes her head. "Assholes." She turns and heads back to his bike, ready to be done hanging out with him.

"Soph." Jax sighs as he follows her, reaching out to take her hand. "What happened?"

"I don't know you enough to be a fucking open book."

"Soph-"

"Can we get a drink? We should get a drink. I need a fuckin drink." He raises his brows but nods, swinging his leg over the bike before sitting down. Sophia sits behind him, wrapping her arms his middle tightly.

+++

Sophia's laying back on the bed in the dorm, a beer in her hand with her head in Jax's lap. He's mindlessly playing with her hair with his own beer and a lit cigarette in his hand. "Tell me about yourself, Jax."

"What do you want to know?"

"Anything." She looks up at him after coming up with a stupid question. "Did you graduate high school?"

"Barely. I had to get tutoring from the girl I used to date and scraped by." He chuckles. "It started to go downhill when my old man died."

"I'm sorry for your loss." He shrugs. "How long did you and that girl date?"

"Couple years." He twists a strand of her brown hair around his fingers. "It was teenage, puppy love y'know?"

She laughs. "Yeah. I do know."

"What about you?"

"What about me?" She sits up, leaning on her elbow against the pillows.

"High school."

"Oh, y'know." She shakes her head with a wimpy shrug. "Graduated top of my class." She rubs the back of her neck. "Got a couple full-rides to some colleges."

"Did you go?"

"No, my dad got sick and I didn't want to be away from him if he was going to die." She picks at the sheets. "But he's still kickin'." She looks up at Jax. "I dated a guy when I was in high school in Modesto."

"What's his name?"

"Tweety Handler."

Jax laughs. "That's a name."

"He was the baddest kid in school. Everyone in Stanislaus County knows who he is." She chuckles. "In and out of jail and suspensions."
She sets her empty beer bottle on the nightstand before grabbing another one. "You kinda remind me of him."