twenty six

Sophia yawns quietly as she watches her family pass around her son. He started with Jax then moved to Dave then to Gemma who hands him off to Chibs.

Chibs, the Scotsman who sees Soph as his daughter and Jax as his own, holds the boy as if their child was his grandson. He feels absolutely blessed with this blossoming family, finally loved since his old lady left him.

Ever since the guys adopted Soph as one of theirs, she sees them as her family, more so than her actual blood.

There's a knock on the door and the party quiets slightly.

Tig answers it. "Can I help you, darlin'?"

Sophia glances up from Jax and her smile drops. Jax's does too when he sees her expression, turning to the door.

An older woman with gray streaked, dark brown hair, critical blue eyes and pressed lips stands on the porch. She gives Tig a judgmental look as she clutches her black leather purse to her torso. "Is Sophia here?" She asks, looking past him at the other houseguests.

Jax glances from the woman to his wife who is now scowling as she backs herself further into the kitchen. He stands. "No, she isn't."

"That's her car right there." She states, giving the approaching blonde a disgusted look. "She's here. Where is she?"

Gemma steps forward, crossing her arms. "She's my daughter."

She scoffs. "She's my daughter."

"You're Angela?" Jax asks, leaning against the pillar behind the couch.

"Who're you?" She demands, starting to get annoyed. "I'm not leaving here with out seeing my daughter."

Sophia starts to get pissed at how bitchy her mother is being to her family. She takes a deep breath and stands behind Gemma, her heart in her shoes.

"Sophia Frances." Angela says coldly, practically glaring at her daughter. "How dare you ignore me? I've been calling you for months and this is how you act!?"

She rolls her eyes. "If you want to talk, we can fucking talk outside."

Angela looks disgusted with her daughter's vocabulary as she steps out to the porch, huffing at the chilly California weather. "What do you want, Angela?"

"Would it kill you to call me your mother?"

"You're not my mother." She says lowly, trying to keep herself from either lashing out or breaking down crying. "You've never been my mother."

Jax watches his wife and newfound mother in law exchange minimal words from the kitchen window, his heart beating in his throat with nerves. He's never met her mother before and now he knows why she never wanted to talk about her. She's a bitch.

"I can't believe this." Sophia shakes her head. "I'm not going back to Modesto- especially not with you." She scoffs as she heads back to the house.

Angela stops her with a grip around her arm. "Don't you walk away when I'm talking to you!" She raises her hand and strikes her across the cheek so hard that her head jerks and she loses her balance, catching herself on the front steps. Sophia gasps, immediately running her fingers over the now broken skin, thanks to the wedding ring she's still wearing even though her folks finalized their divorce way back when.

Jax storms out to the porch, ignoring the words from Gemma. "Don't touch her like that!" He shouts, pulling her behind him.

"Who the hell are you!?" Angela shouts back.

"Her husband!"

Angela's face pales as she looks between the two. "You- you got married. And you got married to him?"