eight

Jax has been looking for Sophia ever since he accidentally elbowed her in the face. She hasn't been to the shop, the diner or the clubhouse since that night almost a week ago.

She's been prepping the house for her father's return with her equally bruised brother helping out. Gabe's been keeping her company than actually helping her but she's okay with it. They haven't seen each other in almost ten years.

Scotty's been on watch at the hospital. Tara's been keeping her eye on him and his vitals to make sure he's well enough to go home and he's doing alright.

Gabe's sitting on the couch with a beer in his hand when he hears the slam of her Chevy doors in the driveway. He looks over his shoulder at the sight of his sister walking their father to the porch.

"Goddammit, I told you I'm fine, Sophia." Scott mumbles, yanking his thinning arm out of her hands, walking himself to his bedroom. "I don't need a goddamn babysitter."

"Dad-"

"I'm going to take a shower then I'm going to go to bed, okay?" He snaps, taking a deep breath as he pushes the bedroom door open. "Get me my smokes, will ya?"

"Dad, you can't smoke anymore."

"Why the hell not? Are you the goddamn doctor? No, my doltish child, you never went to college. Now, get me my goddamn Newports. What's it matter that I'm smoking? I'm dying anyway." He wheezes out with a dusty cough following.

Sophia rolls her eyes as she does what she's told. He's just miserable now that he's off that morphine drip and other drugs the hospital pumped into his decaying body to help slow down the road to death. He's in pain and uncomfortable so she's unwillingly willing to coast him to the end with the shit he's been told to stay away from; smoking and drinking.

"Get me a goddamn beer, too."

"You got it, Scotty." She mumbles, picking up the pack of cigarettes Gabe has been bumming from and a beer with a white lighter between her fingers.

Scott Morrison hasn't always been like this.

At one point, he was a great guy, great father. Hell, Sophia would've given anything to be with her dad when her mother took her to Modesto. When she left, he was the love of her fourteen year long life. It's like overnight he went from the model father to the bum in the gutter. He went even further south when he was diagnosed with lung cancer; he's practically given up on everything.

When she and Angela left Charming, Dave left for Lodi, and Gabe was incarcerated, Scott felt utterly alone and turned to drugs. He overdosed then got clean after Piney gave him a stern talking to. The disappointment Scott felt from the elder sank low in his stomach to the point where he was disgusted with himself and got help.

Now that there's talk of an upswing with the diagnosis but Scotty knows his body. He knows that he's dying and has no hopes of getting better.

"I don't know why you try with him anymore." Gabe mutters from the couch, his toes poking out of the old socks he has on his feet as they're kicked up on the coffee table. "He's just gonna be an asshole to you."

"I keep asking myself that but I can't bring myself to abandon him anymore than his soul has abandoned his hollow shell of a body." She says bitterly as she lights another cigarette.

"Who was the asshole that beat the shit out of us at the bar?" Gabe asks, working on another beer.

"My boyfriend, I think."

"You think?"

"It's complicated. I mean, he kicked your ass and-"

"I couldn't fight him back. I'm on probation."