Chapter 24

Aiden

After strolling in the room cluelessly, Jessica finally stood up. My eyes involuntarily fell on the sleeping face of Miley.
I could see a permanent frown on her forehead and I knew there was something very wrong with her.

"I think I didn't introduce myself yet. I'm Jessica Harnish, her doctor" she smiled extending her hand. I shook her hand gently noticing her almond dark brown eyes.

"I'm Aiden Evans, Miley's... friend" I said flickering my eyes once again to see her sleeping face.

"Just friend?" A teasing smile appeared on her face. Even though I nodded but it felt like I admitted it was more than just being friend when her smile grew bigger.

"Umm... Is she okay?" I asked nervously. But I got paler when I comprehended the emotions lingering on her face.

"Aiden, can we talk?" She said looking around, probably finding a comfortable place to talk.

"Let's talk here only, I don't wanna leave her" I said, feeling the same fear which I felt minutes ago seeing Miley.

"Are you close to her? Like sharing feelings and past and other stuff?"

Her question caught me off guard. Yes, we were close but physically. We never were 'close'. Why were we not close? I wish we were.

Shaking my head, I added immediately "but I can help."

"As much as I like to tell you but I can't tell you about her condition without her permission. I'm sorry Aiden."

I started tapping my right foot on the floor as my anxiety hiked.
"But she'll be fine right?"

"I hope so. I have to consult her before saying anything" her face also turned to Miley after mine.

"Who'll take care of her now? Any family member?" The more I asked the more I got angrier on myself for not knowing anything about her. How could I be so stupid? I liked this woman and I never knew anything about her. Why? Why I never asked her anything. All the lack of information made me feel ignorant. She didn't deserve all this. I didn't deserve to have feelings for her when all I knew was about her body.

"No one" she whispered staring at the ceiling. A frustrated sigh escaped her lips probably thinking the same thing I was thinking.

"Then who'll take care of her?" Converting my thoughts into words I leaned on the desk behind me.

"That's the problem" she said.

"I can."

Without taking another second I said. "Tell me what can I do?"

"Aiden you're not a family member. I can't share my patient's information."

"We don't have any other option. I saw her condition... I can tell it's not good. I'm her only friend. Please. Tell me what can I do?" I begged. "She's your patient but for me she's the only woman I lo-like."

She turned and then looked at Miley. Scrolling through something on her phone, she looked up and turned to me.
"She's not only my patient. She's my friend's daughter too. I care about her too Aiden."

"I'm sorry I didn't mean it. I am just... You know shocked to see her in such a way. She's not like this."

"Fine, I'll tell you... Just because it concerns her." I heard confirmation in her firm voice. "I'm trusting you Aiden"

"You can."

I saw her taking the chair which was next to me and sat on it.
She still had some conflicts, I knew. Her eyes were moving on random objects before she took a deep breath and nodded to herself.