chapter two

Regulus Black was a wise boy. A teenager yes, but very wise. He wasn't the type to get fooled easily for such he himself could smell the foolish people coming. However, he couldn't deny the insane aura of Ariel Malfoy. He would lie if he said he wasn't affected by his charms as well. He surely had heard about the rumors too, and heard many praises at Hogwarts, but witnessing his effects on others - and himself - was such an interesting experience. Now that he thought about this, it was a surprise that Ariel Malfoy hasn't been seen at the Slug Club so far, considering his family was so famous and had a reputation and that he too was building his own. He hoped he would get an occasion to mention this to him, if he could at least get another chance to talk to him, it would be good enough.

The boy wouldn't say he was impatient, but there was a certain exaltation in coming back to Hogwarts for him. Which was probably the first time. His first conversation ever with Ariel Malfoy came back very often in his head, more often than he would dare say. It had been such a pleasant moment after all.

This time, Ariel spotted Regulus first. Rather quickly, even. Once on the platform, his eyes caught him, not that he was looking for him in the first place, it was only pure hazard. And being such a well-mannered young man obliged him to go greet Regulus.

"Hey there, Regulus, had nice holidays?"

"Oh Ariel. It was fine. What about yours?"

"Pretty boring but whatever," he replied, shrugging before taking the lead to enter the train, with Regulus following behind. They were obviously both taking the direction of the prefects' carriage. Once again, Regulus was surprised they haven't discussed together even there. Once arrived, they both found their partners; Ivanna Flint for Regulus and Moira Goyle for Ariel, a girl who had been hitting on him ever since they both became prefects. Ariel wasn't a fool either. He knew that like any other girl flirting with him so openly, she too secretly hoped to make a great impression on him or on his family, whenever they would meet outside of school, so she could become a potential fiancée. But in front of this affection, Ariel only felt disinterest and boredom. There was nothing appealing in those superficial girls. But of course, he would keep a friendly attitude with them. A gentle smirk, a look in the eye, the girl is charmed by his intense blue stare; he would offer a casual chat and she would fall harder for his charisma. And the boy would feel quite accomplished for a moment, although he was getting bored of showcasing such a difficult façade to maintain.

Some time during the ride, Ariel bent over towards where Regulus was sitting, surprising the boy slightly who was lost in his thoughts, and he whispered lightly, words audible enough to be heard despite the others' chats, "Would you like to join us later?"

"Us? Like you and the older guys? Can I?" he questioned with curiosity, but kept a straight face.

"Of course you can, I invite you," replied the blonde boy with a grin.

"But I'm not one..."

"It doesn't matter does it? It can't possibly prevent you from conversing with us. And you're almost one of us you know..." he said, whispering the last part even more quietly.

"Okay I'll see."

Ariel was glad Regulus decided to join his compartment. The older Slytherins, including Severus Snape, Austin Wilkes, Evan Rosier - his classmates - as well as Walter Avery, Emmett Mulciber and Silas Flint, the seventh- years, all looked at him with a strange expression. Silas Flint and Austin Wilkes looked the least hostile as they knew Regulus from Quidditch though.

"Glad you came Regulus," said Ariel with his usual sly grin, while inviting him to enter and take a seat next to him, getting rid of Austin Wilkes in the process to make room for Regulus to sit.

"Why is he there?" grumbled Mulciber.

"Chill out Mulciber, he's a new acquaintance of mine. You guys can accept him right? He'll be one of us in a few months."

"But still! He could spread some private information! We can't trust him yet!" rejoined the older boy.

Ariel didn't look the slightest bit intimidated. Mulciber, although older than him, greatly lacked intelligence and authority. Showing him his cold glare, while keeping up a perfect little smirk on his lips, the blond boy replied in a strict voice, "Mulciber. Don't you know who he is? He's a Black, of course we can trust him. He's been educated in the most perfect way to become one of us. And he's now part of Lucius' family. And almost mine, should I add. So if I say he can stay then he stays."

He slowly placed an arm around the boy's shoulders at his side which made him slightly tense up. Regulus would lie if he said he wasn't impressed by such a charismatic and authoritative speech. So that was the devilish side his angelic appearance was hiding. He actually liked the way Ariel talked about him, he liked how he felt protected by his side, he liked how important he was shown to others.

During the train ride, Ariel finally showed more distance between them and conversations started again after a while. It was no surprise for Regulus to discover these boys mostly talked about how much they wanted to erase any Muggle from this planet and how excited they were to be able to bully the first-years again with murderous looks in their eyes. The surprise however was that some of them - including Ariel - mostly stayed quiet. Ariel Malfoy who was so good at speaking, so good at voicing out his opinions, at expressing his mind - at least from what he had understood - wouldn't say a word anymore. He was pretty sure he wasn't even listening, only looking disinterested.

Upon arriving to Hogwarts they got separated, both going to their prefect duties before enjoying the feast. But they eventually found themselves together again after curfew, since both didn't have to patrol that night, they unconsciously met in the common room and they started discussing, sitting on one of the empty sofas.

"I was surprised by your lack of conversation back in the train," stated Regulus in a disinterested voice, breaking the silence first since they had been sitting in front of the crackling fire without another sound for some minutes.

"Oh? You were? I don't always talk. I stay quiet when I have nothing to say you know."

"But you looked so entertained the other time when you were talking with that old couple at Narcissa and Lucius' wedding after party..."

"It's different. I was actually expressing my point of view to those people as well as trying to make some conversation. But what is the point of talking to those idiots? Snape, and maybe Wilkes or Flint are the only ones with some brains in that group. Although not all the time. I have no interest in talking about such serious subjects with people who only find entertainment in bullying children." And for one of the rare times, Ariel wasn't adorning his typical sly smirk, he only kept a straight, focused face. This sight was interesting to witness for Regulus. He looked so different from what he had witnessed from him so far. He was also very different from what he had heard. 

"Wait. So why did you ask me to come then?" curiously asked Regulus again.

Ariel tore his stare away from the marvelous sight of the fire and his smirk came back into place onto his scarlet lips.

"Why you say? So I wouldn't be bored and have a word with some intellect. However I was greatly disappointed to notice you weren't the talkative type." He let out a sigh, closing his eyes for a second before looking back at Regulus with a grin.

Hiding the slight surprise felt upon discovering the reason of Ariel's request, Regulus nonchalantly replied, "Well I thought Snape had some good brains?"

And Ariel laughed. Genuinely laughed. A melodious laugh.

"Snape? You know him, right? Sure he has some good brains, but sadly he's just like you, not the type to engage in conversations. The worst thing is that he's always gloomy..."

And Regulus could only agree, chuckling along with him.

author's note: hello people, thank you for the few reads already it makes me greatly happy. i wanted to update quickly, but i'm sure the next updates won't come as quickly even though i'd like to post everything now. if you have read my first stories, some names might sound familiar to you. and if you haven't understood yet with my introduction chapter ivanna flint especially will be more important in the next chapters. i love her haha

i hope you will enjoy this chapter and the next ones!