chapter eighteen

The small group eventually moved on to the actual dinner. When Ariel noticed Regulus in front of him, he thought the evening would be dull and long. The boy noticed the look of annoyance on Ariel's face as he sat down, and he could only think the same as him. Being in the same place as him was never enough, they needed to be close.

Coming to sit at the dining table also meant serious matters were starting, Ariel knew it. They - the men, sometimes accompanied by Walburga Black - slowly started discussing of their favorite subjects. The pure blood supremacy, the rise of the Dark Lord and politics, something more present than ever as they all knew. Ariel took part in the conversation when asked about his opinion, but he knew that was something for adults - real adults.

The blond boy had no other option than to eat quietly, while obviously stealing a few glances at Regulus from time to time. He too looked so bored. A feeling of tiredness hit him in the middle of the meal, Ariel started stretching his limbs under the table. He accidently kicked something and when he looked up Regulus was staring at him. 'Sorry' his lips mouthed. And the younger boy just shrugged. It was at this moment, the older boy thought he could make this dinner less boring. Coming back to his plate, he started stretching out one of his legs again, just enough so his foot could lightly hit what he could guess was Regulus'. The boy unsurprisingly looked up again, a questioning expression on his face while the blond boy smiled innocently. His foot caressed his leg up and down for a few seconds before he stopped again.

This new source of entertainment came back a few other times during the dinner, Ariel just enjoyed this slight teasing, he enjoyed having his little fun while everyone was focused on something else. Sometimes Regulus remained unbothered, sometimes he would play with his foot too, or, kick it, and sometimes he would only look up an stare deeply into Ariel's piercing blue eyes. He could swear so many emotions crossed his eyes, making it almost obsessive to look at him.

As the older boy stretched his leg again in the middle of dessert, something felt wrong.

"I felt something kick my leg," grumbled Lazarus Avery, sitting by Regulus' side.

Ariel stared at him, surprise displayed on his features before he stared at Regulus, quietly trying to contain his laughter as he had understood what had just happened.

The man's eyes eventually found Ariel who maybe looked too suspicious and the boy found back his calm rather quickly.

"I apologize, sir. I was just hm, stretching."

And the raven-haired boy found it hard to hold back his laughter once again.

By the end of the dinner, when the men were smoking cigars, sipping some old and expensive whisky and discussing money, charity, finances and such, Ariel spoke up.

"Father, would it be okay for me and Regulus to retire now?"

"Yes. Go," he only replied, barely looking up.

The women went back to the lounge to finish up the night with a cup of tea and some gossip. Regulus and Ariel just stayed to listen, as it was much recommended, but finding the time becoming long for them, the blond boy decided to leave.

"Let's go to my room," he only told him.

He followed him up to his room, closing the door behind him, and waited expectantly, leaning against it as he fixed Ariel moving around.

"What are you doing?" asked the boy as he watched Ariel getting rid of his blazer vest.

"Looking for capes," he answered as he directed himself to the closet.

"And what were you doing downstairs?"

Ariel's blue irises looked at him for a few seconds, catching his gaze.