chapter twenty-one

There was barely any day that Ariel and Regulus wouldn't spend together. Aside from family and Death Eater duties, they had free time which they chose to spend together. And it was mostly chatting, kissing and more. In some rare times they would be doing their homework. Ariel's N.E.W.T.s exams were coming up six months later so he knew how to be serious when he needed to. But his priority remained Regulus during those days. They would just get lost in each other's arms, discovering themselves, feeling intoxicated by lust, after having discussed about anything and everything. It was their holidays routine. And it felt too perfect, too idyllic. The least amusing day was the last day of the year. The year-end party pure-blood families adored to attend. Ariel absolutely hated these. After spending days being more authentic and honest by Regulus' side than what he had ever been in his life, such formality for him now appeared unbearable.

He was glad the party happened to be at Regulus' house this year. His mother seemed delighted to have so many guests, and looked so proud to show off luxurious and valuable ornaments that her family had been owning for centuries. She definitely adored playing the good host.

When Ariel arrived, accompanied by his parents, the first thing he did was to make his way to the kitchen, where Regulus told him he would be. And so he unexpectedly found him down there, having a small chat with his house elf. He didn't want to bother them but Regulus put an end to the conversation as soon as he spotted Ariel by the doorframe. He smiled, came up to him, and kissed him, before turning around, checking on Kreacher preparing up the food and the drinks.

"You took your time."

"I know how to be expected," cheekily replied the blond boy, a smirk on his face. The other boy sighed before turning around to sit back down at the kitchen table. He started to talk with the elf again who seemed very busy. Ariel stayed quiet and just listened to their small chat. He knew he would be requested to talk for the whole night. He sat there for a while and enjoyed the calm of the room, until Kreacher went up with more appetizers and drinks.

"The night has yet to start and you look tired already," said Regulus, getting him out of his thoughts.

"Hm? You think so?"

"It's only a matter of six or seven hours. Could you bear this until we go to sleep?"

"Are you trying to be reassuring?" chuckled the boy lightly, as he turned around to face him. "It's so fucking long."

"I know," said the boy with a laugh as he placed his hand on the blond boy's one, knowing this gesture would more be reassuring than anything else. And Ariel appreciated the comfort.

"Boys! Here you are! We're waiting for you upstairs!" suddenly said the voice of Narcissa from behind them. Regulus let go of Ariel's hand and turned around the same time he did. "Come on. It's Walburga that called you up, wondering where you went. Many interesting girls are here tonight, so just have fun," she added with a small excited smile.

Both Ariel and Regulus knew what interesting meant. The girls themselves were devoid of interest but their situation was interesting. They got up, trying to not display any boredom then followed her upstairs.

The reception room was crowded, and Ariel already felt overwhelmed by the sight but covered this up with a small smile.

"Reggie, there's Irelyn Burke I wanted you to see. She's very kind," cooed Narcissa as she led Regulus to one side of the room.

Ariel refrained himself from laughing upon hearing this. He knew Irelyn Burke and she was far from kind. This girl was a fifth-year that would often send nasty remarks to her female housemates and she looked like she was taking pleasure in doing so.