chapter thirty-three

"I told them Ariel was feeling sick and went to sleep. Daisy Parkinson was fuming when I told her... I think she knows he got drunk..." quietly whispered Narcissa to Regulus when he reached her side. "But anyway, will you explain me what happened upstairs? No. What's happening between you two?" she asked with an urgent tone.

"Fine but not here." He dragged her outside where it was calm and quiet.

He took a deep breath, trying to summon enough courage in him to speak out the words he was about to say. "Ariel and I..."

But he got cut off too soon as Narcissa immediately said, "You two are a thing right?" And by the look of surprise on Regulus' face, she knew she was right. "So it's true."

"How... how do you know?"

"I guessed. That's all."

"You guessed... Who else guessed?" he asked with an alarmed tone, his eyes widened in fear.

"It's because I know you two very well that I guessed. I don't think it's that obvious for others."

"I hope! Nobody should know!" he exclaimed, panic in his voice.

"Don't worry. Nobody will know. If you continue to hide it at least..."

"For now, the future is unknown," sighed Regulus, dropping his gaze to the ground.

"I feel sad for Daisy... poor girl has to marry a guy who already likes someone else..."

"Poor Daisy? Don't you think things are hard for Ariel? He too has to marry someone he doesn't love and will never love!" said Regulus, rising a little his voice as he felt the emotions building up in him. Remembering Ariel's state from earlier brought a feeling of anger in him.

"The reality is sad for both them."

No matter how angry Regulus was at the situation, knowing Narcissa was on their side - or at least, feeling more positive than negative about their relationship - brought a feeling of reassurance in him. They weren't alone anymore. Regulus could go back to school and Ariel wouldn't be alone. Narcissa had always been there for him like a big sister and he felt reassured. There was still a pang in his chest when he rode the train to Hogwarts on September 1st. Ariel wasn't with him and he wouldn't be with him for the next few months. He felt extremely lonely even though Ivanna Flint tried to cheer him up he stayed cold and gloomy, like he would usually be with others. But what he didn't know was that Ariel had sent a letter to Ivanna, asking her to take care of Regulus as he was worried for him. And what Ariel didn't know was that Regulus had sent a letter to Narcissa, asking her to take care of Ariel as he was worried for him as well. They cared so much about each other, their thoughts were always turned towards the other.

"Ariel. How could you corrupt my baby cousin like this?" jokingly said Narcissa to Ariel one day as he was at her house.

They had just ended a Death Eater meeting and Narcissa took the opportunity to talk things out with Ariel a little since she hadn't seen him ever since his engagement party.

"What? Do you know he's not as innocent as he looks? And anyway I'm the only one who can call him like this," he answered with an amused smirk.

The blonde woman, surprised at first by such words - the first words he was telling her about their relationship - started laughing after a few seconds. He was being himself after all.

"So, how long has it been going on?" she asked curiously.

"The beginning I believe... I think there was never a platonic aspect in our relationship."

"I think too. You were so close, I was almost jealous of the way you'd look at him..." she sighed with a small smile and the boy smiled as well.

"Does Lucius know?"