chapter sixteen

Doing something you had no wish to do turned out to be very difficult. More difficult than what thought Ariel. He endured and didn't complain. He chose to stay away from Regulus. As much as he could. They hadn't talked things out but Regulus didn't force things. He remained unbothered. At least in appearance. The blond boy tried hard to keep his stare away from him, but his blue eyes would always find him whenever he wasn't looking. But his gazes were longing sometimes and boldly, Regulus would return them. Things were getting hard when he had to admire his impressive stature and charisma whenever he was playing Quidditch, or when he had to sit so close to him during Slug Club. Everything made him want to touch him and kiss him. It was torturing the boy. And as always when he needed to talk things out, he reached out to Narcissa.

'My dear Narcissa,

I hope you have been doing well these past few days. I have been missing you a lot and I apologize for not reaching out to you earlier, but I have been troubled.

Something has been pestering me. As to not dwell too explicitly on it, I will be short. Something has been confusing me. For the first time ever I have no idea what I am doing, what I should do and what I will do. I feel like I have to make an important choice but it is making me anxious. I have to choose between what I want and what I should do. My mind is a mess, filled with so many thoughts, so many options, I just cannot think clear anymore.

I hope your words will be somehow helpful, but just hearing about you would make me feel better already.

Take care of you,

Ariel Orson Malfoy'

He was glad Narcissa's answer came rather fast. She had come to his help without hesitation like she would always do and it meant a lot to him.

'My dear Ariel,

You seem to be in a tricky situation. I do not know for how long it has been going on but I will try my best to help you.

I believe I understood what has been worrying you. Your choice seems so difficult to make. If I had to be honest with you, I would have chosen my duty in the first place at your age. What seemed like the best option, what I had to do. But now that I grew older, I think the best option is to follow what your heart wants. Do not choose what seems right, choose what would please you, correspond you, so you will not have regrets in the future. Remember that your heart is always right.

I hope this has helped you. It looks like the best answer I could come up with. Thank you for always counting on my support, I appreciate being useful to you.

Take care of you, and see on Christmas. We will further talk about this.

Love,

Narcissa Irma Malfoy'

A feeling of comfort spread through Ariel when he finished reading. Narcissa always had the right words and knew how to help him. To her, all he had to do was to follow what his heart wanted and not what seemed to be the right thing to do. He would dare then.

That night, he slept with much more ease than the past nights. The exhaustion of the past weeks felt so much more vivid now. His housemates had even started questioning his slight change of behavior. The boys wondering why he had become so gloomy, and the girls worrying, over nothing as he told them. And Regulus during this time stayed distant. He knew he was waiting since it was so unlike him to make the first move. But it hadn't prevented them from sharing a few stolen glances, rare but still existent even though they would quickly look away as if nothing had happened.

The next day was also the last day of school. Weeks had passed by so fast it surprised Ariel when it hit him. Regulus and him hadn't exchanged a single word in over a month. It was needed, he knew it, but it was getting difficult to keep his façade when he just wanted to hold him close and never let him go.

As per usual, he got invited at Slughorn's dinner to celebrate Christmas in advance. The man was beaming when he saw Ariel enter his office so elegantly, walking with confidence as if nothing could stop him. He nodded at the people already present there, exchanges a few greetings with the girls that accepted his conversation then sat down at the empty seat at Regulus' left. And then the blond boy started talking to his teacher. It went normally, smoothly, nothing out of the ordinary. But the lack of contact between him and the boy by his side was so torturing. It was so tempting he could almost feel the tip of his fingers burning with envy. And so as everyone was eating their dessert, with Slughorn chatting so excitedly, Ariel finally made a move. Regulus was distracted and the discreet and sudden contact of Ariel's palm on his thigh made him jump slightly. A few pair of eyes, including Slughorn's looked at him, surprised.

"I'm sorry, could you repeat what you were just saying?" he said, as naturally as he could.

And Ariel's lips twitched as he refrained himself from smiling. He bent his head a little and he side-glanced at the boy. The youngest caught his stare and looked at him once everyone's focus was back on Slughorn. His grey irises quickly slide to his lips, where the ghost of a smile was resting and it made him smile discreetly. As he continued eating, his own hand went to sit on Ariel's hidden one. Their fingers played with each other under the table, before interlocking. The hold was tight, warm and comforting. And both boys felt happier than they had felt for the past days.

"I had almost forgotten how it felt," murmured Regulus once him and Ariel had left Slughorn's office, already past curfew. He had taken a hold of his hand once outside obviously, not being able to resist any longer.

"It was that long? I'm sorry I needed time," he answered, smiling somehow sheepishly.

"Don't apologize. I understand and you know it," told him Regulus squeezing his hand.

"Thanks." As he said that, Ariel stopped in his tracks and placed his free hand on the raven-haired boy's cheek. And Regulus couldn't wait longer to bring his face down to his. Being so bold showcased how much he had missed this. The sensations running through his body were so strong when their lips finally touched. Their lips moved in synch, and they kissed for so long. It was passionate, more passionate than everything they had ever shared. Ariel's tongue movements were quickly driving the other boy insane. He tried to follow his lead before the blond boy completely took possession of his senses. He wasn't controlling himself anymore, Ariel was dominating him.

"I didn't forget that however..." came Regulus' voice, slightly out of breath, once they had detached from each other. His hands were still clutching Ariel's clothes. Both were grinning stupidly.

"I'm glad it shook you enough to the point that you remember its effect..." murmured the boy with a sly smirk that Regulus knew all too well. He rolled his eyes at his teasing words and finally detached himself.

"Don't go too far," exclaimed Ariel behind him as he started walking away, towards their common room.

"Go faster."

"No, wait for me."

He obviously reached him in a few seconds and again the boy's hand was firmly enclosed into his own and he didn't plan on letting it go so soon.