chapter seventeen

Excitement was present in the school on this last day. Students were awaiting those holidays with so much impatience. And Ariel admitted it was something he expected just as much. Spending time at home would probably feel boring, and it would be as boring to see his stuck-up and snobbish relatives for Christmas, but at least he could have a break. He and Regulus already planned on meeting soon. They had spent so many rare moments together these past few weeks that it was much needed. Ariel allowed himself to follow his wants, just as Narcissa told him. He wouldn't go against his envy of being with Regulus. And he was glad the younger boy was sharing his thoughts. Being deprived of affection could only push him to accept this meeting. He too wanted it.

In the meantime, he had to keep acting so friendly and attentive towards his female housemates, wishing them to take good care of themselves and have nice holidays, secretly telling each one he would miss them with a sad smile crossing his features, making them squeal in excitement. He would probably forget about them and everyone from school as soon as he would step in his house.

The ride to London was awfully long. Firstly he had to bear the insufferable Moira Goyle in the prefects' carriage and while patrolling the train and then he had to finish the ride in the unpleasant company of his fellow housemates. It was so annoying to hear them talk about the same things, but Ariel would obviously throw some comments from time to time, acting as if he was interested. Which he was not. The best moment was when Regulus finally joined their compartment after his own patrol. Ariel's blue irises lit up when he caught sight of him. He had to refrain himself from smiling too much when the boy went to sit down at his side, very close to him, while engaging in a conversation with his classmate Wenston Burke. He wanted his attention so bad, he wanted to talk to him, even if it was the most random thing, even if he could look at him it would be pleasant. And that was the difference between Regulus and any other person. He wanted Regulus' attention, he wanted him to focus on him and not on others. He appreciated having people's attention on him, but Regulus' was the only one he truly wanted, he was the only one that interested him, the only one that wasn't meaningless.

As students got out of the train, Ariel quickly addressed Regulus a few words while escaping the crowd.

"You'll hear about me soon, I promise," he murmured into his ear before placing inconspicuously a peck to his cheek.

"I'll be waiting," answered the raven-haired boy.

One last glance and one last smile before he finally disappeared from sight.

His house was the same as he left it four months ago. His mother quickly arrived to welcome him.

"Ariel, darling, I'm so glad to have you back," said the woman as she hugged her son. Her blue eyes were twinkling with joy as she spoke.

"Me too, Mother," replied Ariel while kissing her cheeks lightly.

He loved his mother dearly, much more than his father, and he loved being with her again.

"Where's Father? His office, I suppose?" he asked, already directing himself towards the second floor to meet him.

"Oh no, no. He's dressing up. We've invited some acquaintances for dinner. You should go change too!"

She quickly left afterwards, probably leaving to dress up as well. And so Ariel just went up to his bedroom, bringing his trunk along with him. He wondered what kind of boring guests his father had invited. Probably some Ministry members to talk about charity and politics once again. He took his time choosing an outfit, something very simple but elegant enough for the chic guests. He felt already exhausted though the night had yet to start. At some point, his mother called him down, telling him the first guests had arrived. The boy finished brushing his blondish locks, fixing them on his forehead, before finally leaving the room, going down to meet and greet the new comers.