Chapter 26

Running down the street, Cora and Hunter prepared themselves for the fight they could hear at the impound dock. The two entered the fenced off area, Hunter jumping on a crate that Wrecker threw and landing on a clone. Cora tackled the one left behind Hunter as he took down another. Cora grabbed her blaster and stunned the clone, making him fall unconscious.

Cora lifted herself from the ground and saw Hunter dealing with the clone he took on. Shooting two more in the process. More clones jumped the fence and were coming straight for them. Cora joined Tech as Hunter followed close behind, shooting the incoming clones. She jumped the crates and hid behind them with Tech.

"Glad you two could make it." He said as Hunter fell next to Cora.

All of them leaned on the crates and shot at the clones from across the platform. "What are we waiting for?" Hunter asked over the blaster fire.

"The clamp's still magnetized. The system's not responding." Echo said from behind.

Cora ducked her head as a blast almost hit her. Hunter nodded towards Wrecker, he joined Echo by the ship. The sound of the blaster fire went Cora into a spiral. Her back pressed against the crate as her hands grew sweaty. The sound was bringing her back to Mora. She wanted to cover her ears and drown the sound it, forget the sound forever of she could. It ringed in her ears as her mouth felt dry.

Wrecker managed to get the clamps off the ship. Hunter turned to Tech and nodded towards the ship. "Let's go!" Tech ran back towards the ship.

Cora heard the sergeant, but her body wouldn't move. She felt his eyes on him. Not wanting to cause a scene in an already serious moment, Hunter grabbed Cora's arm and pulled her to her feet, pushing her towards the ship. Cora climbed the steps as Hunter's hand rested on the small of her back.

"Wait." Wrecker said firing back. "Omega's not back." She heard him say.

"Wrecker, she's not—"

"Wait for me!" Everyones heads turned towards the fence. Behind a crate, waving her hand, was Omega.

She jumped to her feet as Hunter stepped off the ship, Cora watching from the doorway. One of the clones saw her and managed to grab her feet, causing her to fall. Hunter rushed out and shot the clone. Cora pulled her blaster out, feeling the need to shoot something. She shot at the clones, one nearly missing Hunter. Omega ran towards the ship as Hunter safety guided her back towards the group.

Omega climbed the ship and basically jumped into Cora's arms. She held the girl as Hunter and Wrecker shot at the clones. The door of the ship closed as Cora hugged Omega.

"I'm sorry, Omega." She whispered.

"It's okay." Omega pushed away from the hug and looked into Cora's eyes. "I forgive you."

Omega joined with Tech and Echo, along with Wrecker at the front of the ship once they cleared the planet. Cora tried to relax herself but she found no good in it. Hunter flicked through the computer next to her, they didn't speak. Her head was hurting again, her head spinning from stress.

Cora stood up once she saw Omega wander over towards Hunter. The Senator wandered towards the cockpit as Wrecker heavy lifted the gonk droid onboard. She leaned her arm on the chair where Echo sat. He looked up and saw the woman's pale expression.

"Are you alright?" He asked.

Cora nodded. Her eyes being taken by the hyperspace stars from beyond the glass. She was lying to them. She wasn't okay. It was hard to admit it to herself but she tried to ignore her feelings. She was a soldier, a Senator. She had to be emotionless.

-

The ship had grown quiet. Everyone was scattered around, sleeping. Cora couldn't sleep. Passing the other clones who slept through the trip, she reached the front of the ship where Hunter was on duty for flying. She sat down next to him with a sigh, he glanced as she looked out over the stars.

"Can't sleep?" Hunter hummed looking to her.

"Yeah." Cora mumbled slightly closing her eyes. She opened them again and turned her head towards Hunter.

She studied his profile. His nose was different from the other clones. His sharp jaw helped complete his crooked nose. His eyes seemed to be more grey then brown like the others. The reflection of the stars bounced of the light grey sparkle in his eyes.

Cora quickly looked away once Hunter turned to her, feeling her gaze on his face. She cleared her throat and leaned her head back.

"I'm sorry, for the way I talked to you." She said softly.

Hunter looked over to her, Cora's eyes looked glossy. "No, I'm sorry." Hunter whispered, he sighed and leaned his head back. "You were right, we don't leave our own behind."

"I'm just glad she's here and okay." Cora said turning to him.

"Me too." He nodded.

They sat in silence. Cora fiddled with her fingers. Her brain still spinning.

"Do you ever think things will get back to the way they were?" She asked.

"What do you mean?"

"The war is over now." Cora shrugged, "There's a new order rising, one worse then the Separatists, will there be another war?"

Hunter sighed at her thoughts. "War is all I know." He shook his head, "I'm not sure what we would do without it. Without it, clones wouldn't exist."

"Hm." Cora hummed. "I don't remember a time of peace." Hunter turned to her. "I've been fighting my whole life."

"Back on your home planet?" Hunter asked.

"Yeah." She breathed, "There was a civil war, we were tore between two ideologies. It only got worse once the war broke out."

The two stayed silent for a moment. "You never talk about your home." Hunter said. "Why?"

Cora looked away from the stars, her brows knitted together in pain. "Bad memories." She whispered. "I would rather forget about it, pretend it didn't happen."

Hunter nodded and looked away. His eyes scanned the stars in front of him. Cora brewed for a moment. She thought of her home, and what it had become.

"Have you ever felt like you belong somewhere? Like, a home?" The Senator turned and looked at Hunter.

The two looked at each other. "Kamino was our home. These guys are all I have." His chin jutted towards the back where everyone was sleeping. "They're my family, that's where I belong. By their side." Hunter said softly.

Cora looked away and back to the stars, feeling Hunter's cautious eyes on her. "I've seen so many planets, meet so many different people, clones and even families." A smiled ghosted her lips, "But I never felt like I belonged anywhere."

"You belong here, with us." Hunter said. Cora lifted her head and looked at Hunter.

Cora didn't respond. She didn't know if it was true or not. Not after what happened with the 603rd.

"I wouldn't say it, if it wasn't true." Hunter whispered.

"I know." She whispered back, her voice cracking.

The two locked eyes, Hunter leaning forward trying to make her feel better. Cora's eyes looked back towards the sky as the ship flew back towards their destination. A comfortable silence fell over the two as Cora felt herself drift off to sleep.