Chapter 16 - Don't you trust me?

A/N Birthday update 🥳 Hope you enjoy xoxo

LOCKWOOD MANSION

Mason jogged towards the door, opening it with his usual handsome grin, until he realized who stood before him, "Aella?"

Aella glared up at him, "Are you happy with yourself?"

Mason glanced away from her furious eyes; he'd been happy until it got later and later, and Liz failed to return his calls. "Is he dead?"

Aella laughed without any humor at his monotone, "Do you not care you've just ruined a handful of lives with your little stunt?"

Mason straightened, "So he's alive. Is Liz dead?"

Aella was overwhelmed by the lack of feeling from him, "What the hell happened to you?" Her eyes glistened as she glared at him, "Where's my Mayo? The amazing guy who would do anything to protect all life rather than hurt anyone."

"That Mason is dead, Aella," Mason flatly told her. "He died when he killed his best friend and became a monster."

"No," Aella shook her head furiously. "That was all, Katherine! Just because you've become a werewolf doesn't mean you've become a monster. I know you."

"You knew a chubby kid who babysat an annoying kid," Mason spat. "I only put up with your crap because your grandmother paid me double what other parents were asking. You were just easy money." Aella didn't believe him, though his words tore at her heart. Before she could say anything, Mason continued, "And why should I trust you about knowing what is a monster and what isn't? You're dating one and friends with another!"

"This is Katherine, Mason," Aella cried, drawing her bottom lip between her teeth. "This is what she's making you feel. Me and Tyler know you are anything but a monster. Please, Mason, Katherine is messing with your mind."

Mason's pupil's flared, "Kathy is not the Katherine you're speaking about. Kathy has been there sinc-"

"-Since you turned?" Aella interrupted him; her tears stopped as her expression hardened. "What a coincidence. Is she the one that convinced you to come home? To look for the moonstone? Even now, is Kathy pushing you to find the moonstone? Bet she won't be happy with your actions today."

She wasn't. When Mason had met with her, Kathy had been furious with his actions. But he wouldn't admit that to Aella, just as he wouldn't admit to the teenager that Kathy had become even more annoyed with his failure to locate the moonstone.

Aella suddenly reached into her pocket, "Well, if you're so sure Kathy is not Katherine Pierce..." She took his hand and slammed something hard into it. In amazement, Mason realized he was holding the moonstone as Aella finished, "Prove me wrong, Mason. Prove us all wrong."

Without another word Aella, stomped away towards Stefan, who had anxiously watched throughout her entire conversation with Mason. As she got into the car, Stefan stared at Mason, who still stood in the door, eyes not moving from the stone that lay in his hand. "Are you sure about this?"

Aella clicked in her seatbelt as Stefan began driving again, "I know, Mason. Even with Katherine whispering in his head, I know he'll do the right thing." Holding tightly onto the necklace Stefan had given her, she whispered to herself, "I know he'll make the right decision."

SALVATORE BOARDING HOUSE

Caroline was off the couch and running into Aella's arms as soon as she heard the door open. Aella held her tightly, "I'm sorry it took us a little longer, I had-"

"-It doesn't matter," Caroline held her a little too tight. "I'm just happy you're here."

As Stefan passed them, he squeezed her shoulder in comfort as Aella pulled back slightly to look up at her. "How are you? How's Liz?"