Chapter 28 - Asta?

A/N: sorry for the lack of updates, I finally caught Covid and it was awful 😣 I'm so thankful I'm vaccinated, otherwise I'm sure I would have been hospitalised. Thankfully, I had something... or should I say, someone, to look forward to bringing home. I have a Puppy 🐶 His name is Loki and he's a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, he's gorgeous, smart, fat and a pain in the butt, but I love him SO much. I'll post a picture of him at the end doing his favourite thing in the world... Anyway, I hope you enjoy the chapter, please vote and let me know your thoughts. Xoxo

GILBERT HOUSEHOLD

Bonnie bit her lip when she saw Damon's car pull up into the drive. The anxiety of Elena being kidnapped had pushed away any fear of rejection when she and Elena would reunite. However, Elena was now safe, and now she was only a few steps from her home, and that fear of rejection ran rampant in her mind once again.

Sheila squeezed her hand in comfort. It eased some worries until the door opened, and Elena ran into the waiting arms of Jenna and Jeremy. But when Elena's eyes met hers and her best friend sobbed out her name before running across the room and enveloping her in a firm hug, Bonnie finally relaxed for the first time since she and her grandmother had driven into Mystic Falls that morning.

"Thank you for the message," Elena sobbed into Bonnie's neck. Bonnie let out a few tears of her own at her words and held on tighter to Elena, thankful she had done something good with her magic again.

Sheila smiled at the reunion until her eyes met Aella's across the room. The sadness in her rich green eyes had Sheila's heart aching for the pain she saw there. When Aella simply mouthed a single word, 'later,' Sheila nodded. With a sad smile, Sheila returned to enjoying the reunion of Elena and Bonnie.

.................................................

.................................................

Aella studied the inside of the refrigerator intently, even though her eyes stared off to the distance. Bonnie silently stepped towards her cousin; with a joking tone, she finally spoke to Aella, "The longer you leave the door open, the quicker food goes to waste. And..."

Aella smirked gently as she closed the door and faced her cousin, "...and, wasting food is like stealing from the poor, and we Bennett's do not steal anything!" Aella chuckled to herself, "Ah, another token of wisdom by Sheila Bennett."

Bonnie smiled, but as quick as the joy had appeared, the awkwardness had replaced it. Aella fidgeted on the spot, "Good job on the letter to Elena. That's not an easy spell."

Bonnie smiled in appreciation of her cousin being the one to speak first and the compliment that followed, "Thanks, Grams has been showing me the ropes."

The silence returned, and Bonnie's mouth opened to start some kind of apology when the Gilbert's front door slammed open. They heard Caroline's elated voice shout, "You're un-kidnapped!" The two cousins shared a chuckle at Caroline's phrasing, and the two walked into the hallway to see Caroline squeezing Elena tightly. When she saw Aella and Bonnie standing there, she used her vampire speed and strength to pick Elena up and move them both to where the cousins stood and pulled both of them into an even stronger hold. "We're all back together," Caroline cried, tears of happiness.

Aella was hesitant to wrap her remaining arm, the one that wasn't in Caroline's crushing hold, around Bonnie until her cousin whispered, "Can we talk tomorrow?" It wasn't the question that had Aella finally holding onto Bonnie again; it was the look of uncertainty and fear. The fear that the two of them would never be the same again, she'd seen that same look in her grandmother's eyes and hated it. So, Aella wrapped her arm around Bonnie and nodded in answer to the question. Bonnie's relieved smile was the reward needed.