snowy soul

Setting: post Finale

Although Julian loved summer, he grew up in the Southern Empire; a place where it was always hot. He didn't see snow until Caraval became a success, and they started travelling into new empires. So naturally, he much favoured winter when there was beautiful snow coating the ground. It was something he never had, and made the child in him go ballistic.

His wife, being the intelligent woman she was, sat up on the couch of her office, stacks of books about the Fates piled around her.

"I'm still worried about them. Jacks more than anyone. I know it seems like plunging a knife through the Fallen Star's heart would have been the end, but some of them are just as sadistic as he was; and I highly doubt they're finished with us just yet."

Julian wanted to tell her not to worry, but honestly, he was a little paranoid himself.

But today, they needed a day off.

He knocked gently on her door, causing her head to shoot up. "Hello, Crimson."

Scarlett's hand reached for a bookmark, placing it between the pages before closing the book. He immediately noticed it wasn't like the Fated books around her, and must have been about something else. The leather on it still seemed new. "Julian, you're finished signing duties early?"

Julian's smile flickered.

He indeed did not finish his signing duties.

"There's a few left, but that's beside the point. You look over thrown in work and there's fresh snow, plus it's not too cold. I was thinking we could just enjoy some time together, maybe take a walk?"

Scarlett's expression softened. "That would be lovely."

     Excitement jumped around in his stomach, but Julian kept his demeanour calm. Scarlett jumped up from the couch, and he reached for her hand, interlacing their fingers together. They began to walk after Scarlett found them some coats to shield their bodies from the harsh winter air.

     "What were you reading about?" Julian asked once they finally stepped outside, into the paths of the garden.

     Scarlett looked at her feet quickly. "It's nothing, kind of silly, really."

     He knew evasion and lies when he heard them.

     "Tell me, Crimson," he insisted softly.

     She let out a breath, and Julian watched it contrast against the air as she let it out, creating a smoke-like puff. "Would you laugh if I said it was old stories about the Fates?"

     Julian's eyebrows scrunched together. It wasn't something to tease her about, yet he didn't understand why she was reading stories about them. The only way they could locate them now was to actually look for them and read history about them. But perhaps she thought there were some truths behind mythical stories?

     "No, but I am curious as to why."

     Their shoulders brushed, and Julian tingled where Scarlett had bumped into him.

     She stopped suddenly, looking him in the eye. "I know it won't help us find them, but it gives me a sense of security, I suppose. I'm still confused as to what I am, and what Gavriel makes me, but reading about it all... it reminds me I'm still human—partly, at least."

     Julian's thumbs rubbed the back of her palms as his lips touched her forehead. "You're the sister of Donatella Dragna and the love of my life, as well as the most loving and selfless woman I've ever known. That's all that matters."