the ghost in me

this is very short and just an idea I had so, enjoy!

     It was late. Scarlett shouldn't have been up, but insomnia had been digging its claws into her lately. Nana Ana had just passed away, and life seemed more dull. At the very least she had Felipe, who had just began his way home around fifteen minutes prior. He snuck in to make sure Scarlett was alright, and after talking about it for the better part of an hour, she felt lighter.

     She would thank Felipe tomorrow. Maybe buy him a new deck of playing cards, or even take him out of his misery at the boy's academy for an evening boat ride.

     Scarlett decided to go for a walk throughout the halls, calm her mind and wear it out. As she passed Tella's room, she peeked her head in to make sure her little sister was sleeping alright. She felt herself smile; Tella was growing quick, but she ultimately seemed younger as she slept. At least she wasn't growing up too fast. It meant Scarlett still had some time left, too.

     As she continued her walk through the estate's halls, Scarlett startled at a banging noise. The clatter continued, and despite herself, Scarlett neared the source, only to find out it was coming from her father's office.

      She would regret it later, but Scarlett turned the doorknob and stepped inside. There her father was, lying at an awkward angle on the floor, objects from his office strewn on him and the ground.

     Marcello looked up at her, eyes shining. Scarlett felt the sudden urge to run.

     "Pa..mm...nmm," he mumbled.

     Scarlett took a deep breath. Her father was clearly intoxicated, past the point of making memories he would remember in the morning. "What was that, Father?"

     "Paloma," he said, louder this time.

     Scarlett turned her head quickly behind her, a small part of her hoping she'd find Paloma waiting with open arms, ready to embrace her daughter into a hug.

     But the doorway was empty, and no one else was there. It took Scarlett several moments to realize Marcello was talking to her.

     A pit dropped into her stomach, making it feel tight and her head heavy. "No, I'm not-"

     "Paloma, you're back." Marcello scrambled to get up, wobbling to find his balance.

     A wave of panic washed over Scarlett. Her tongue was heavy and her mouth was dry. She preferred not to think about her mother. Let alone have people mistake her for Paloma. Especially her own father.

     Marcello had a hungry look in his eye, one that wasn't violent, something Scarlett couldn't place. She'd never seen him with this expression. Her emotions came in frightened plumes of lavender and confused whisps of gray.

     He reached out a hand to cup her face, but Scarlett quickly batted it away. "I'm not her! Father, it's Scarlett."

     But he couldn't—wouldn't—hear her.

     So Scarlett ran. She ran from her intoxicated, delusional father, slowing to look behind her to check if he was—

     Hmph!

     Arms quickly caught her before she could fall over, holding her to keep steady.

     "I forgot my sword in your room and... hey, Scar. You okay?"

      Scarlett looked into the deep blue of Felipe's eyes, but all she could think of was Marcello calling her...

     "Paloma, come back!"

     Felipe looked over her shoulder, steadied her, and ran towards Marcello's office. He slammed the door shut, something a blackout-drunk person wouldn't think to open. Felipe returned shortly, gently pinching her chin with his fingers.

     "Look at me, hey. Everything's going to be okay. Don't think about her. Don't think about him. Just breathe, Scar. In... out..."

      Scarlett sucked in her breaths hastily before blowing them back out. She followed Felipe's lead, slowing her breathing until her heart climbed back down to a slower rate.

     "That's it," he murmured, placing a supportive hand on her back to spin her around so they could walk side by side. "Now, what's Ms. Goody Two-Shoes doing up past her bedtime, huh?"

     "Couldn't sleep. Nana Ana always told us stories."

     "How about I tell you a story about a rock and a chicken?"

     Scarlett raised her eyebrows, encouraging him to continue.

     "Ha, spoiler alert. Doesn't end well for the chicken."

     Scarlett snorted, rather un-lady like, and before she knew it they were back at her bedroom door.

     "I better grab my sword and get out of here quick. Don't want a guard who isn't on my good side catching me here at this scandalous hour."

      Scarlett shook her head. "You're right. That would ruin my reputation."

     "Your reputation. What about mine? I've got this bad guy only hangs out with bad girls persona going for me now."

     "We can't have that being destroyed, now can we?"

     Felipe grinned as he tucked his sword into his hip holster. "No, ma'am."

     "Night, Felipe."

     He paused. "You'll be okay?"

     Scarlett nodded. "Yeah, I'll be fine. Thanks, by the way. Really."

     Felipe flicked her forehead before Scarlett could bat his hand away. He smiled to himself as she rubbed at her head.

     "Goodnight, Scar."

     Felipe left the estate, for good that time, and Scarlett retreated to her bed. When she collapsed onto the soft mattress, she let her tears fall. They seeped into her pillow as she thought of Ana, Marcello, and even Paloma. She cried until sleep took her into its cold embrace.

A/N
I wrote this fairly quickly, so it may not be up to standard but I just wanted to get something out while I work on the final part to the golden princess storyline. I think something like this might've happened considering Gavriel sometimes saw Paradise in Scarlett, so I hope this isn't too far fetched?