chapter 13- Surprise Surprise (part 2)

I suddenly woke up in the middle of the night. I switched on the lights and looked at the clock showing 4:00 am. I could hear the rain drizzling softly outside. I sat up on my bed no longer able to sleep. I pulled my knees together and wrapped my arms around it. I put cheek on my knees and closed my eyes. I wasn't trying to sleep nor was I trying to think about anything. In fact, I was trying to forget everything which is happening here, since the day I came here.

I sat there for sometime but couldn't stop thinking about it, couldn't stop imagining what will happen next.

I moved out of bed and towards the window. Rolling the curtains away and opened it. I stood there for sometime watching the rain trickling down. I have always loved rain. I loved the scent of the earth right after it has rained. Today, standing by the window, I listened to voice of rain and surprisingly it calmed me down, surprisingly it helped me forget about the dark realities of my life.

I took a sigh of relief and closed my eyes. I was tired but my unconscious won't let me relax.

After sometime the rain slowed and the yellowish light from the sun was now seeping through the grey clouds which were now drifting away with the wind.

There was a knock on the door and my heart skipped, all the temporarily forgotten realities paved their way again into my mind. The door knob twisted and my mother stepped into view.

I let out a breath of relief.

"Good morning Liss," she said. " Is everything alright?"

"Good Morning, mum and yes everything is fine" I said, walking up to her and hugging her.

" I just came to wake you up for school, you were late last night" she said slapping the back of my shoulders.

" How do you know? You were sleeping. " I said.

"Hmm, I was almost asleep when you came to check me in my room. But I wouldn't sleep entirely unless you're back home safely" she said.

I didn't reply to that. That is something which only mothers will understand.

" Now go get ready for school, you are going to go right?" She asked.

"Yes I am, and I may go to Alec's place after school to help him with Nina's surprise birthday party" I told.

" okay, but you'll be back home before the party starts, right? You'll need to change, " she said.

"Yes," I confirmed.

"Alright then, get ready," she said and walked out of the room.

I bathed and dressed up for school.

I looked around for my bag but couldn't find it. I tried to remember where I put but failed. I went downstairs to look for it but it wasn't there.

"Mom, did you see my bag?" I called out to her who was in the kitchen.

"No. Did you check your room?" She asked walking into the dining area.

" yes, but it...." then it struck me.

I quickly turned around towards the main door. I opened it and stepped outside.

There it was lying on the floor. I had left it there last night since I was in a hurry, or maybe afraid.

I grabbed it and went back inside. My mom was standing near the dining table arms folded across her chest and confusion all over her face.

" I forgot it outside last night. I was tired and was unable to unlock the door. It was dark, you know.." I said.