05: Proud

"What is this?"

"A face veil," Namjoon states bluntly yet you still frown, having no idea what he wants you to do with the black face veil he holds for you to take. Nevertheless you grab ahold of it, staring at it with confusion. "Wear it," he orders and you look back up, even more confused.

"May I ask why?"

"Your face is a distraction," Yoongi says. It's flat and blunt and hurts you a little but it isn't enough to break you down. After all, you are far more stronger than that.

"My...face?"

They did not like it one bit the night before with you being surrounded by men at all sides at Dionysus's party. It isn't just your strength they are fascinated with, it's your beauty that lures everyone all in.

You're more beautiful than you give yourself credit for and for some reason it irritates them thinking about how you became the center of attention that night. And not just that but you looked like you were also enjoying yourself. You've laughed far more times than ever with them, made jokes, had everyone see your pretty bright smile that could light up the whole palace if the lights had gone out.

But Taehyung sees the way your eyes dies a little and almost takes a double take because he isn't used to seeing your insecurities revealed in front of them.

"You're too pretty," he adds onto the mix and gets up from his seat, leaving wordlessly.

A pretty blush adores your cheeks and Jimin almost finds himself smiling but refuses to do so as he gets up abruptly and follows behind Taehyung, afraid you'd find out his weakness.

You aren't too bothered by them leaving because you like it. You like the little butterflies that flutters in your tummy from their words.

.

.

.

Jungkook forces you to train with him a day later.

The face veil that covers from the tip of your nose and down is a little distracting but you manage to keep it concealed without losing focus on the sword that keeps coming down upon yours.

"What happened with Ares?"

Your footing falters for the first time and he takes note of it, jabbing his sword at you and you almost lost if you hadn't recovered just as quickly as his skills.

"Ares?" You echo. "Why do you believe anything happened with him, my Lord?"

"Because I saw you." His sword skins a little cut on your forearm but neither of you stop. "You were uncomfortable."

You're quiet and the only thing you can hear are the clings from the swords battling one another. "He asked me to be his shield," you admitted and that's when Jungkook stops in mid-battle, causing you to almost trip forward but you catch yourself before doing so. "My Lord?" you call, perplexed.

He's silent for a few seconds as he takes a seat on a bench.

"And your answer?"

You wonder why he asks yet you still reply. "That I will only serve the Lords of the Underworld."

Jungkook wonders why it's only them you wish to serve, he wonders what your motivation, wonders whether you'd still serve them specifically if they were Lords of something else. Will fate bring you over to them or will you remain here in the Underworld even without them?

"Why us?" He asks blatantly and you take a moment to swallow.

"Because I have built a nice relationship with the seven of you. You find me annoying at times but that makes it a little more fun and adventurous, you know? No offense too Ares but if he were the Lord of the Underworld, I don't think I would like being his shield as much especially with how he acts. It's a little...unfriendly."

"So..you like it?" He asks with a bit of hope. "You like serving us?"

"Yes," you nod, "I do, my Lord. I couldn't ask for better Lords to serve."

Jungkook stands up to leave and all you can see is his back because he hides the smile with only him to know of. "Good answer."

You stand there dumbfounded by his words.

.

.

.

"Do you ever let your hair down?"

You narrow your eyes. "Is that an order?"

Hoseok's chuckle warms your heart. "No, it is a simple question."

"Oh," you say. "Well then, yes I do. When I wash and when I dream."

"Of course, but do you ever let it loose when you aren't doing those things?"

"Like out for other eyes to see?"

He nods. "Precisely."

"Hmm." You think about it for a moment, trying to remember back to the days when you've let your hair fly down. "I don't remember, my Lord," you confess. "I think I've always had it up ever since I began my training as a warrior because it gets in the way."

"And how long have you trained?"

"Ever since I could walk," you tell him and he doesn't notice the little glint of sadness that walks into your eyes and mind while the two of you sit on the roof of the castle, looking down at the Underworld.

"Why is that?" Hoseok asks and you contemplate for a moment on whether to tell him yet your thoughts strays onto the idea of letting him in. After all, it's been a while since you've opened up and speaking to a Lord you can trust felt safe to you.

"My father always treated me as a man," you tell him slowly. "He wanted a son as his firstborn but mother couldn't give him that so he settled with turning me into the son he wanted. It was hard work, I'd cry many times but never complain in front of him otherwise I'll get punished. He taught me to be a warrior, taught me to never hesitate whenever I'd hold a sword in my hand. The day I beat him in a duel was probably the most rewarding day ever because for the first time ever, father smiled at me. A year later I had a sister. But unlike what I expected, father treated her like a princess. He'd buy her pretty clothes and shoes and coo at her and I envied her so much.

"But then I realized that making my father proud as a warrior was far more rewarding than always making him smile even at times when he doesn't. Because he's genuine with me. He's real, authentic, and shows his anger and hate for the world. In front of my sister, he puts up an act because he doesn't want her to see his raw side. That's how our relationship was built." You smile a little at your father's face. "He trusts me and I trust him and we rely on each other. I don't like looking upset in front mother because I'd feel like a burden but in front of father, I can trust him with being real."

"So where'd you get this lively energy from?"

You laugh at his question and he mirrors the amusement.

"I find my joy through wanting to be a light in my family's life," you confess to the Lord of Death. "Being a mortal in the realm of the Gods isn't easy, you know, which is why me and my father has to survive protecting the ones we love; my mother and sister. It gets hard at times but I do my best to keep them happy."

"You're a great warrior because you want to make your father proud."

You nod. "Yeah. It's all I've ever wanted, to make him proud. Which is the reason why I chose your land to be a shield in, because it's the hardest and toughest position to get in. I was never going to leave unless I became your shield."

"I don't think making your father proud was your reason, dear Y/N." You look over at the Lord with a little crease in your brows, not understanding what he means. "Your father will be proud of you no matter what you do because it comes from the love of a parent to a child. I think you came here to prove your worth..." he looks at you with a small smile, "..to yourself."

To yourself...

"And at this point, there is no reason why you should not be proud of yourself, because I am proud. Your seven Lords are proud of you, dear Y/N."

His words makes your heart smile.