Maxwell lord 2

"Are you saying you've been spying on us the whole time?!" Green Lantern shouted incensed.

He was not the only one. Even a good-natured person like Flash was disturbed by the news. Martian Manhunter was frowning deeply too. But Wonder Woman was not that taken aback by the news because she had always been aware of Batman's deep mistrust towards other people. Furthermore, Naruto had already warned her about the network of satellites.

Although the Justice League had over 100 members at the present, it was still only the old members that led it. With Hawkgirl retired and gone back to her homeworld and with Superman's whereabouts unknown, there were only 5 of them in the conference room now. And Batman had just revealed to them that he had been working behind their backs for months, that he had created an AI to spy on all metahuman activity on Earth.

"We've trusted you, Batman. I trusted you." Flash said.

"We've been together for years, through many hardships. What made you think we'd ever betray the Justice League? For me, the Justice League is not just a team or an organisation ... ... it is like my family." Martian Manhunter also said.

Even Batman's stoic expression briefly crumbled at the Martian's words. But he steeled his face and said:

"It is because we've been together for so long that I know everyone very well. In the eyes of ordinary people, you are like gods. What happened if one day one of you went rogue like Superman did a few years ago and killed hundreds in Metropolis under Darkseid's control, or like he beat me into a coma just yesterday because someone else was controlling him!"

"You said it yourself! Someone else is controlling him. He'd never do something like this willingly!" Green Lantern said.

"Wouldn't he? Did you all forget about the Justice Lords? It took only Flash's death for them to do a 180-degree turn and take over the government. And don't tell me that we are different. Because we're not. They were just like us in the beginning." Batman shot back.

The rest became momentarily silent at his words.

"Now, the Justice League has over 150 members. Most of them are metahumans, people with superpowers. The Justice League has grown more than powerful enough to take over the Earth in a matter of days. How do you keep in check so many superhumans when they are operating all over the world? How do you make sure they are not abusing their power? How do you prepare for the possibility that one of them could go rogue? I had to create a system to keep an eye on them. To make sure that I would be able to prevent that from happening."

"And look how well that worked for us." Wonder Woman eventually retorted. "Someone stole your AI from you and now the mass media has direct access to exclusive videos of you dropping people off buildings and Superman going berserk. And you should know very well that is only the tip of the iceberg. Whoever is in control of that AI now has become one of the most dangerous people in the world!"

Batman looked like he wanted to say something but he stopped. The mood in the conference room was extremely tense.

Later that day, back to her apartment in New York, Wonder Woman was sitting at her desk with a piece of paper and a pen in her hands. Every once in a while, she noted down some of her thoughts.

'It all started when Lois Lane and Superman broke up.' she thought and wrote it on the paper:

1. Lois Lane and Superman broke up.

'Then, she started slandering him and the Justice League in the media, writing biased articles against us.'

2. Lois Lane's petty revenge