Chapter Two

Family

Family. Honor. Loyalty.

These are the three things that are of great significance in our world.

I was Luciano Costello's firstborn and only son, Nikolai Costello. Luciano Costello had been the most feared don of New York City and now in his place, I was.

I was taught to be strong, to be ruthless, to be cold-blooded. I was taught to be cruel. I was raised to become a man without feelings.

The first time, I killed a man, I was only seven years old. My father had his first kill when he was twelve. I took over the mafia at the age of twenty-four, I took over before he had passed, my father took over the mafia after my grandfather passed away. I intended to surpass my father in every way possible.

My father carried the legacy of the underworld from his father. Which my grandfather inherited from his father and so on . We had ruled for generations and I intend to rule and carry on the Costello lineage.

After Luciano Costello retired due to his failing health, he passed down everything to me, from the money laundering and large-scale drug trafficking, and political connections to our group of companies that covered all of our illegal work and turned all our black money into white.

The name Costello was well-known around the entire fucking country.

I was feared more than my father and grandfather combined. I was feared by the people who worked underneath me. I was feared and respected by the families loyal to me. I was feared by every single person who heard my name.

I picked up the crystal tumbler from my desk and drank the whiskey. The liquid danced in my mouth for a few seconds before allowing itself to seep down to my throat, the burning sensation teased my throat. Reclining back in my seat, I placed both of my legs over the table.

Two of my men... They were my men until they decided to betray me. I watched with satisfaction as they were getting tortured to death in the next room. This special torture chamber was divided from my office by a one-way mirror.

This torture chamber was hidden behind the bookshelf of my office, specifically designed for traitors. Disloyalty was the biggest fucking sin in our world, I had no place for it. The one thing I could never forgive my people for is betrayal.

I felt like a god as I watched their blood drip down their bodies. I enjoyed tormenting and humiliating my enemies. I would make them suffer for hours on end before finally putting them out of their misery. I reveled in their agony as they writhed on the ground, their bodies slowly being eaten away by the acid that dripped from Marco's hands. This was the only thing that could quench the burning desire inside of me.

The door to my office creaked open. Selena pushed her head in, keeping her gaze steadily on me. She knew better than to look around to see what was going on.

"Mr. Costello, Mr. Ramirez is here to see you"

I sighed, pouring myself another glass of whiskey. "Send him in"