Chapter Thirty-Three

My eyes were locked with Nikolai's, I didn't look away and neither did he

My eyes were locked with Nikolai's, I didn't look away and neither did he. All of a sudden, I realized how alone I was in this room full of people. He was the only one I considered mine after the death of my parents but he belonged to someone else. I broke eye contact to look at the unfamiliar faces around me.  They were mostly Costellos... his family. Bianca was also a Costello, she was his cousin. I had no one.

I had no one...

"E, are you alright? What's wrong?" Bianca's voice echoed again.

I ignored her and took off. I walked down the hall toward the exit. A sarcastic laugh dripping with bitterness left my lips. My eyes had turned red and were glistening with tears but I didn't let them fall.

I walked past the security, keeping my head down. The cold air bit into my skin. I had forgotten my coat inside but I didn't care. I just wanted to be away from here, away from him. I don't want to see him again.

My heels were a little unstable on the cobblestone driveway but I kept on going without looking back. Just as I reached the gates of this enormous palace, a cold voice from behind halted my movement.

"Where do you think you're going?"

I didn't need to turn around to see who it was. Fear crawled on my back just at the sound of his voice. I stood still for a moment, my chest tightened with incredible force. I sucked in a breath to keep the tears in. He will not see me cry. Nikolai Costello was nothing to me anymore.

"I'm so sorry for coming here uninvited, Don Nikolai Costello. I didn't know that it was your engagement, Bianca lied to me and brought me here. If I knew that you were going to be here, I wouldn't have come." I spat, my voice laced with venom.

I can't show him how much the news of his engagement has broken me, hurt me. I can't show him that. He made it clear that there was nothing between us from the very beginning, I won't act stupid and tell him that maybe, I started to feel something more than just a physical thing.

"Stop acting like a fucking child."

"And don't worry, I didn't drink the celebratory champagne or ate anything while I was here. You can keep the clothes, shoes and all the other costly stuff you bought for me, I don't need them. And for the rest of the things you have done for me like food and stuff, I'll pay you back!"

I told him everything that was weighing on my chest from that night. How he made me feel so low and worthless.

"Jesus Christ, Evangeline. I don't fucking care about that"

I laughed sarcastically and ignored his words, I continued to walk down the driveway while I could hear his heavy footsteps behind me, catching up to me. I felt his fingers wrapping around my elbow and flinched away from him. Finally facing him with pure anger reflecting in my eyes.

"DON'T EVER TOUCH ME AGAIN!"

His eyes darkened, and I could feel the anger radiating off his body but then he gave his head a shake. "I asked you a question. Where are you going?"