Chapter Ninety-Eight

I felt a searing, intense pain engulf my entire arm

Could it be? Did she actually shoot me?

I don't know if I was in shock, or incredibly pissed off or I wanted to murder her or fuck her hard till she passes the fuck out. Maybe all the options above together.

I recoiled my hand from where Evangeline had shot me, layering my skin with a thick pool of blood. I couldn't believe the fact that she had actually shot me. And I just couldn't bring myself to retaliate.

I don't think I have it in me to even point my gun at her...

I looked at the blood on my hand again and then back at her, sitting on the bed, holding my gun lazily as if it was normal for her to handle guns.

She stood up and all I could do was fucking stare at her. She stepped closer and tucked my gun back into the holster.

"Here, let me help you with that before you bleed all over my carpet," she said before moving out of the room and I followed her.

"Where the fuck did you go?" I asked.

She looked at me from over his shoulder as we entered the kitchen, "Away from you."

"Why?!"

She pulled out a first aid box from the cabinet, "Do you really need to ask that, Nikolai? You don't remember? Have you forgotten that you were the one who said that this marriage was done for and left me alone for months!"

I scoffed and gripped my arm to stop myself from losing any more blood before I fucking pass out on her, "You ran away!"

She faced me, slamming the first aid kit over the kitchen island, "You made me."

I furrowed my eyebrows, "I made you?!"

"Yes, you did," she took off my hand from over the wound and started cleaning it, "...and after some clarity, I realized, I don't want to be with you. You killed them..." her voice was barely above a whisper but I know what she was talking about.

"You think you have a choice, Evangeline?!"

My words made her laugh, she shook her head, "This is the mentality that made me run away from you in the first place! It's either you divorce me or I will ruin you!"

I fisted the back of her head with my bloodied hand and pulled her closer, I tried hard not to cringe as she dug the needle into my arm, "You think I am afraid of your little threats? You want to ruin me? Go ahead, what's fucking stopping you? Do you think I care what people think of me? Sweetheart, if I cared about that I wouldn't have been a mob boss in the first fucking place."

She pulled herself out of my hold and continued to stitch the wound up, "We don't have to fight, I don't want to fight you. I'm not even here to avenge my parent's murder. Don't make things difficult for both of us, Nikolai. Let's get a divorce and pretend we never knew each other."