Chapter Seventy-Seven

I woke up to an empty bed

I woke up to an empty bed. Frowning, I looked to my side and saw that his side was still perfectly made, showing that he never came to bed last night, not even for a few hours.

Disappointment filled my body, making me sag my shoulders.

I waited for him last night for hours. He went out with his uncle and came back later at night. When I went to his study to talk to him, Scott didn't let me enter, he told me that Nikolai was busy and didn't have time. Scott also sounded so brusque, for a second there, he felt like a stranger, a cold stranger that I don't know anything about. 

I caught a glimpse of him from the half-opened door, he was reclining back in his seat smoking a cigar. He had time for a smoke but didn't have a few seconds to spare to see me. How can he be so busy that he doesn't even have a few seconds to talk to his wife?

A knock on the door resounded in the room, I tossed aside the duvet and made my way to it. A maid stood outside, she was one of the cleaners that come and goes daily.

"Yes?"

"I'm here to pick up a suit for Don Niko."

I furrowed my eyebrow and opened the door wide for her to enter. She nodded with a smile and headed towards the walk-in closet.

I followed behind her and saw her picking out the first suit, "Where is Nikolai?"

"Downstairs," she responded while looking for socks and ties.

"Get aside," I told her and opened the drawers that had his ties and then the other drawer that had socks. I handed them to her, "What is he doing?"

She hesitated for a second as if she was scared to tell me, "He took a shower and then asked me to bring him a clean suit."

Both of my eyebrows went up, "He took a shower? Where?"

She shifted her weight from one foot to another and kept glancing at the door, "In the guest bath..."

"Guest bath, why would he shower in the guest bath? He could have come up here—"

"He slept in the guestroom last night, madam."

So, he did go to bed last night... just not with me. I could help the sinking feeling I felt in my chest. I couldn't make sense of his behavior.

Was it because I told him to not touch me or talk to me until he confesses his feelings for me? Is that why he was acting this way? That's exactly the reason I wanted to talk to him. Bianca was right, it was not wise or fair to force Nikolai to confess, he can do it, in his own time, in his own way because all this is torture and it's not gonna end any time soon. We'll go back and forth again and again if I keep fighting him for it.

"Ma'am, I really have to go, Don Niko would get mad at me."

"Give his clothes to me," I said.

Her face visibly whitened as if I have asked for her life. She shook her head, "No, madam, I can take the clothes—"